SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

FreeBSD7 dropping inbound Pings if general traffic is low?
[at] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 18 May 2008 22:35:09
Under FreeBSD7 with a static tunnel setup i noticed something strange: I have *very* low IPv6 traffic (most times nothing at all - well not much running on the server yet). After a while, the tunnel started to show high packet loss in the tunnel sixxs.net tunnel stats. So, for diagnostics, i set up a script to ping the PoP once a minute on IPv4 and IPv6 and log the results into a database. The database shows next-to-no packet loss. But, since i started to run the script, neither does the sixxs-stats. It seems like regular outbound data fixes the problem - for now, at least. I'm currently planning on keeping the script running for a week or so and check if the problem is gone. After that, i'm gonna turn it off again to see if the dropped inbound packets re-appear. If anyone has seen the same behavior, please kindly respond in this thread.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 18 May 2008 22:46:44
[at] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 19 May 2008 00:54:02
The host doesn't run behind a NAT (server with public address) nor does it run a firewall (only required services running anyway). I'm familiar with state tracking firewalls, but the issue here more likely seems the connections doesn't go down but gets unreliable. As the server didn't generate outwards IPv6 traffic at all (at least, it shouldn't have to my knowledge) before i started the pinger, the connection should have stayed down, not beeing up/down at random intervalls and/or dropped 50% of the packets while answering the other 50%.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker