SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Today is World IPv6 Launch Day - Is your tunnel performance affected?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 06 June 2012 22:41:23
Today is World IPv6 Launch Day and the DSL / cable / mobile network oligopoly in Germany still has no native IPv6 for end users available. This is not likely to change until the end of the year. But more than 3000 content providers including large content distribution networks and big Names like Google, Microsoft and Yahoo have gone dual-stack today. So a big bunch of traffic including video-sharing websites like YouTube is now going through your SiXXs tunnel, if you have one. Are the PoPs ready for this? Is your IPv6 performance affected?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 06 June 2012 23:02:34
Are the PoPs ready for this? Is your IPv6 performance affected?
As can easily be seen on the traffic statistics, the PoPs have a lot more capacity than what is being used (assume that most PoPs have 100mbit while some have 1GE and others 10GE). The packets per second graph is the most interesting one, especially as the websites that are enabled now with IPv6 are generally small amounts of traffic but with many connections. If you check the graph you'll notice that a bit more traffic is now there, but it is actually not that much more. At AMS-IX there is a huge peek though, which is likely from home users with Teredo installations. I am awaiting the analysis from the Arbor folks for more details.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 07 June 2012 00:11:02
As can easily be seen on the traffic statistics, the PoPs have a lot more capacity than what is being used (assume that most PoPs have 100mbit while some have 1GE and others 10GE).
This capacity is not defined by the link speed of the PoP's network interface but by its upstream Internet connection. So if a user has a 100 mbit connection, tries accessing YouTube, but gets only 50 mbit out of his PoP, the PoP looks under-used in the graphs. This doesn't change, if two users try the same and are each getting 25 mbit. (Just an example, not a statement about the performance of any real PoP out there.) So the traffic statistics don't answer my question. Just for curiosity I'm interested in feedback, how well this transition is going for end-users. Why I'm asking here: SixXs users are actually dual-stacked, while the majority of the Internet end-users is still using IPv4 only and not affected by this Launch Day at all.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 07 June 2012 00:56:40
This capacity is not defined by the link speed of the PoP's network interface but by its upstream Internet connection
The total upstream connectivity at the ISPs at where the PoPs are located far exceeds the local interface connectivity. The PoPs with 10GE interfaces then also tend to be the NRENs which have way more than 10GE available. People though who want to push several tens of megabits continuously are better off in geting native IPv6 from their local ISP And yes, the PoPs are underused, but that is mostly I guess because there is not that awful lot of content on IPv6, even though it changes already with this, the heavy traffic hitters remain BitTorrent and NNTP which are not affected by this "launch".
Why I'm asking here: SixXs users are actually dual-stacked
And they have been for a long time already and quite a few have been using our resolver caches which have been giving out AAAA for various domains already. Also, youtube as IPv6 enabled for the content part for nearly a year already and that is the biggest chunk of traffic for that, at least a lot more than search traffic.
, while the majority of the Internet end-users is still using IPv4 only and not affected by this Launch Day at all.
That is not true, you forget that most people still use Windows and that Windows since Vista are Teredo enabled per default. And even a lot of other users already have IPv6 have enabled IPv6 on XP as they are using BitTorrent clients that enable it easily for them. There is one catch though with many platforms, in that they tend to not prefer IPv6 connections eg on Teredo, or apply Happy Eyeball-alike techniques. And on top of that, as I noticed yesterday in a hotel, some networks use OpenDNS which seem to drop requests for AAAA and rewrite it to their search engine. Fortunately 8.8.8.8 is always available as a last resort to circumvent that. Another catch to note is that people with IPv6 stacks but no connectivity might now be AAAA receiving answers for their DNS queries and as their connectivity is broken or their DNS resolver drops to requests can have issues because of this quite major change. This apparently is only 0.1% of the userbase though, and those folks likely are now either fixing their stuff or contacting their helpdesks.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker