SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

How-to VPN and IPv6?
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 25 April 2008 04:17:10
I am curious to know what there is available to connect to an IPv6 based VPN? As an example setup I would have my home network using an subnet connected via aiccu on my MacOS X based machine. The client machine would either be a Windows based host or a MacOS X based host. Are there any 'how-to's out there that would explain how to go about this? Are there implementations of IPSec that support IPv6?
How-to VPN and IPv6?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 26 April 2008 00:26:37
Last I checked, IPv6 has native support for IPsec as it was originally developed with v6 in mind and then later "back-ported" to v4. OS X client and server both ship with vpnd for hosting L2TP and PPTP services. -Gary
How-to VPN and IPv6?
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 26 April 2008 17:43:49
Which process is responsible for assigning IPv6 addresses to machines connecting over an IPsec VPN? Would this be rtadvd or something else here? At the moment I tried using the IPsec setting for the VPN under MacOS X 10.4 server. When I connect with a 10.5 client machine I get an IPv4 address, but not an IPv6 address.
How-to VPN and IPv6?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 27 April 2008 12:11:32
I don't get what you want. If you have ipv6 addresses at your home network and no acl's/firewall on your router, then all machines are reachable worldwide. So you don't need a VPN ...
How-to VPN and IPv6?
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 27 April 2008 15:44:20
My main goal for this is educational. Although I mention I am attempting this with my home network, I want to eventually be able to do this in the work place. In a work place you traditionally have network rules based on address masks, so that if I don't have an address in the network, say because you are connecting from a remote location, then there is stuff I won't be able to do or access. The VPN allows me to connect to the network, get an address that is local to the network and therefore be able to do stuff as if I was connecting locally.
How-to VPN and IPv6?
[si] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 28 April 2008 11:34:19
OpenVPN in TAP mode emulates an ethernet interface, so everything that runs over real ethernet, also runs over it. Including IPv6 (and NetBEUI and IPX/SPX and IPv4 and whatever else...). I don't know if OpenVPN can create the tunnel over IPv6, but it probably does. Check its docs.
How-to VPN and IPv6?
[es] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 13 May 2008 10:57:52
You can use this How-To to configure IPSec on Windows Machines: Using IPSec between two local link hosts

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker