SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Does file sharing work ?
[si] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 13 April 2008 12:20:03
Hi! Does Windows file sharing work over IPv6 ? I found this thread, but it does not give much clue : https://noc.sixxs.net/forum/?msg=apps-289933 I also googled but the only thing I found was an article saying "setting up services over IPv6 is very hard (even for experts)". On the other hand I saw claims, that it should just work ... So what is the deal ? I have two Windows 2003 systems, and file sharing does not work. For example numjerical addresses are flatly refused. (like \\2001:db8:23::32 , also I tried \\[2001:db8:23::32]) Then I added a line like "2001:db8:23::32 myserver" into ...drivers/etc/hosts. "ping myserver" works fine, but accessing (by typing it into the address bar of the explorer) \\myserver fails again, this time with "No netwrok provider accepted the given netwrok path". What I have is two PCs, one with IPv4 and IPv6 and the other (the client) only IPv6. What should I do ? Reboot ? ;-) Regards, David
Does file sharing work ?
[si] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 13 April 2008 13:08:10
After reboot the client says: Windows cannot find '\\myserver'. Remote Desktop does not work either (according to this site, RD does not support IPv6 at all: http://www.ipv6style.jp/en/tryout/20030523/index.shtml )
Does file sharing work ?
[si] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 17 April 2008 10:41:44
Can please anyone confirm whether file sharing over IPv6 works at all ? I googled around and couldn't find anything, except other people asking how to set it up (but without answers).
Does file sharing work ?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 17 April 2008 19:21:10
Yes, it does work. I can't get access by v6 IP but host names work. I'm using a Vista client with shares on a 2008 server that's also acting as caching name server but you can probably use the hosts file if you don't want to set up DNS. If you're on Vista the host file only editable with admin privileges per Microsoft KB 923947. I'll eventually set up a globalnames zone in DNS to replace WINS but I haven't had time to focus on it yet. -Gary
Does file sharing work ?
[si] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 18 April 2008 16:47:25
So with Vista and 2008 it works. How about XP and 2003 ? (that is what I am using)
Does file sharing work ?
[us] Carmen Sandiego on Friday, 18 April 2008 16:59:43
What are the differences between the IPv6 protocol for Windows Server 2003, Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows XP with Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows XP with no service packs installed? A. The IPv6 protocol for Windows XP with no service packs installed was provided as a developer preview. The IPv6 protocol for Windows Server 2003, Windows XP with SP1, and Windows XP with SP2 is a production-capable and supported protocol. All versions of Windows XP do not include IPv6 support for file and print sharing or the IPHelper and DCOM APIs.
Does file sharing work ?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 18 July 2008 08:14:31
Interesting. I just tried this and couldn't make it work. I had assumed it would work fine. Oops. I set up IPv6-only addresses for temporary host names in DNS and then tried connecting from WinXP on a SixXS tunnel to Server 2k3 on a 6to4 address, from WinXP on 6to4 to WinXP on SixXS and then tried remote desktop over the same connections. Nothing worked even though I could ping the host names and literal addresses in each case. (All my test machines are on the same physical subnet, but the route between the SixXS tunnel and 6to4 goes out to the internet and back, so I don't think this is affecting my tests.) I know WinXP prior to SP2 wasn't fully IPv6-enabled, but I thought it would work with Windows protocols post-SP2. I'll experiment some more, but the lack of remote desktop is very disappointing as that something I was hoping to do with my forthcoming subnet. (I already use ssh tunneling for remote desktop, so I guess I'll continue.)
Does file sharing work ?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 19 July 2008 21:31:00
UNC paths with a colon in them have always been illegal. You can't use an IPv6 addresses. MS has reserved the domain "ipv6-literal.net" for the purpose of resolving IPv6 addresses in UNCs. You need to specify an IPv6 address as follows:
2001-db8-1234-5678-feed-beef-be-dead.ipv6-literal.net
MS software automatically resolves this.
Does file sharing work ?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 19 July 2008 21:45:00
Also, File sharing isn't supposed to work over IPv6 prior to Vista.
Does file sharing work ?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 20 July 2008 01:47:17
Thanks! I didn't know about that workaround. Here are some links supporting your assertions: <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944007">MS KB944007: Unable to access shares via IPv6 address due to the ":" character</a> <a href="http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/bb530961.aspx">MS IPv6 Chat Session</a> - This indicates that Server 2003 and Vista ("Longhorn") can use IPv6 file sharing implying that WinXP and Server 2000 cannot. The article linked earlier about Remote Desktop not supporting IPv6 was written in 2003, and I know a new Terminal Services client for WinXP is available since then, but I can't find supporting links about whether it should work over IPv6 or not. So far I can't get it working natively. (I use ssh tunnels currently.)
Does file sharing work ?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 20 July 2008 01:51:07
Oops. IPv6 users should get a "preview" button ;). Here are those links in clickable forum format (I hope): MS KB944007: Unable to access shares via IPv6 address due to the ":" character MS IPv6 Chat Session

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker