SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Can the same AICCU tunnel be used on different devices simultaneously?
[br] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 22 May 2012 17:04:15
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, I hope it is. I'm doing some tests with sixxs I have four devices, all of them with DSL (dynamic IPv4) on different locations / providers and networks. All of them behind NAT without control over the firewall / router. It might be a dumb question but may I use the same tunnel (AYIYA) with AICCU for all of the devices simultaneously, or should I ask for different tunnels for each one? Thanks a lot for your help.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 22 May 2012 17:25:46
It might be a dumb question but may I use the same tunnel (AYIYA) with AICCU for all of the devices simultaneously, or should I ask for different tunnels for each one?
As tunnels are point to point you cannot use them at two endpoints at the same time. You thus indeed need a tunnel per endpoint.
[br] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 22 May 2012 20:35:43
Thanks for your answer Jeroen, that is what I thought. I will then ask for a new tunnel. If I ask it on another PoP I guess I will need a new subnet as well, right? Great work with Sixxs, congratulations!
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 23 May 2012 10:18:54
If I ask it on another PoP I guess I will need a new subnet as well, right?
You can't split subnets either. But note that every tunnel per default comes with a /64 routed subnet.
[br] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 23 May 2012 15:45:54
Great. Thanks Jeroen!
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 30 May 2012 13:16:27
I always thought so too, but I'm here in university with an activated aiccu on my laptop using the same tunnel as my homeserver. Both can ping6 at this moment as I've just tested. I've also made multiple traceroutes both my laptop and homeserver are using the Sixxs gateways on the same tunnel.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 30 May 2012 22:24:19
What happens is that every time you send an AYIYA packet the tunnel flips over to the active sender and thus when you use one and not the other it works.. If you keep on sending packets from both, incoming packets might end up at either. This is not what you want to do... Just request an extra tunnel if you need it, then they have their own globally unique addresses that get the packets to the destination that it needs to be at.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 31 May 2012 10:40:20
I thought something like this was happening, of course I also couldn't connect to my homeserver through IPv6 with my lapop, because according to the routing table it was on the local subnet, while in fact it should've gone through the tunnel, either way, not the intended use. I've just requested a new tunnel.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker