SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Totally confused. What will I do when I need to un-instal.
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 14 May 2012 12:28:02
Hello. I'm running on Windows 7. I was hoping I could set up a tunnel that I could switch on when I need it and switch off when I don't want to use it. I downloaded aiccu-2012-02-02-windows-console, I set up a configuration file, and I ran it, and a command window opened and closed, not giving me any chance to see what had actually just been done. I now find that when I open a command prompt, and type IPconfig, I have a Tunnel Adapter asitap which seems to be disconnected, and a Tunnel Adapter Teredo Tunneling pseudo-adapter which has an IP6 address, so I assume that that is what is providing me with some IP6 connectivity. I know I have some IPv6 connectivity, because if I load up my torrent client I often see a few IPv6 peers. I can't however find any IPv6 web sites, which I suspect is a DNS problem, but I'll worry about that problem later. The problem is, I have no idea how this IP6 connectivity is working on my system. I can not find any software drivers that seem to have been installed, and I can't find any network settings that have been changed. I have no idea how this is actually working, or what I should do if I want to switch it off. It looks like I should have used the windows-gui program instead, but I didn't know that at the time. Perhaps I should un-install and start again, but I don't know what to un-insytall because I can't figure out what has actually been installed, or what has been set up. Can anyone give me any pointers to finding out what has actually been installed on my system. Thanks. Richard.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 14 May 2012 12:46:48
a command window opened and closed, not giving me any chance to see what had actually just been done.
If the daemonize flag is not set in the configuration file, thus that it reads "daemonize false" it will wait for a keypress before exiting. That is one option to use, the other is to start aiccu from a Command Prompt window (see the wiki or google for details on that).
Tunnel Adapter asitap which seems to be disconnected, and a
ISATAP is a default transition method. Disconnected is fine and default.
Tunnel Adapter Teredo Tunneling pseudo-adapter which has an IP6 address
That is Teredo. AICCU disables it when configuring a tunnel.
so I assume that that is what is providing me with some IP6 connectivity.
Yes, Teredo works quite well from behind NATs. The setup of Teredo relays and the ability to debug Teredo connectivity though is something that is not always perfect or easy.
I can't however find any IPv6 web sites, which I suspect is a DNS problem, but I'll worry about that problem later.
Windows prefers IPv4 over Teredo, there is a flag that allows one to disable this behavior. AICCU sets that when it configures a tunnel, thus if you have once successfully run AICCU it will have set it.
I can not find any software drivers that seem to have been installed,
Teredo is enabled per default on Windows (unless the host is part of a Windows Domain). See Wikipedia for more details on Teredo. It can be disabled with: "netsh int ipv6 set teredo disable" from a command prompt. AICCU does that when it configures a tunnel. You could optionally disable Teredo if you wish as above, but you definitely do not need to reinstall anything.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 14 May 2012 23:17:32
Hi Richard, I recommend you to use Aiccu/Installing Aiccu on Windows Vista. I used this description when I started using SixXS, and it also works fine with Win7. Instead of configuring an 2002::/16 address as described in (7) to get DNS to resolve AAAA you can also set the following registry key: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters: Add the REG_DWORD entry "AddrConfigControl" and set it to 0. This worked fine for me with Vista and Win7. Andreas

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker