SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Free IPv6 DNS hosting?
[dk] Carmen Sandiego on Tuesday, 18 March 2008 17:49:37
Does anyone know of a free dns hosting service that has its nameservers on IPv6? The Danish GratisDNS offers 5 nameservers of which 2 are dual stack. Are there others? Cheers, Klaus
Free IPv6 DNS hosting?
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 18 March 2008 20:09:47
Freedns: http://freedns.afraid.org/
Free IPv6 DNS hosting?
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 18 March 2008 22:21:02
None of the afraid.org nameservers have an AAAA record
Free IPv6 DNS hosting?
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 19 March 2008 15:44:54
Oops, you're right. I have posted them a suggestion in this regards and will see what they have to say about it. I know for sure that dyndns.org has no plans for IPv6, when I contacted them.
Free IPv6 DNS hosting?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 20 March 2008 23:39:47
I don't know whether they do or don't as far as already having AAAA records for their nameservers, but I do know that nerdie.net/editdns.net's staff really go out of the way to help out their customers. Before I had even started donating, they worked with me to set up alternate port delivery/relaying for smtp, and have since added the ability to add AAAA records to hosted domains. I'd recommend contacting them and seeing if they're willing to add some AAAA ptrs.
Free IPv6 DNS hosting?
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 21 March 2008 21:54:51
The IPv4 and IPv6 addresses for a given name don't have to point to the same physical machine; so it is perfectly valid to have somthing like @ORIGIN foo.bar NS ns.foo.bar. NS ns2.foo.bar. ns A 1.2.3.4 AAAA 5678:9abc::1 ns2 A 11.22.33.78 AAAA 5678:9abc::1 with the AAAA pointing to the same IPv6 address, and putting on some IPv6 reachable a DNS server answering for that domain. As the IPv6 traffic is still small (particularly for DNS which is small traffic) you could even put that into a small spare PC in your local IPv6 net It's not a nice solution, but it will work in the meantime. (yes, I was too lazy to look for the documentation prefix :) )

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker