SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Visitor country location?
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 17 March 2008 22:37:27
Does anyone know if there are any good databases that support identifying which country a visitor is coming from. There are a number for IPv4, but I haven't found a good one. The last one I tried, couldn't locate where I was coming from. Not even a general ball park. http://www.ip2location.com/IPV6-COUNTRY.aspx
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 18 March 2008 14:06:11
For IPv4: Maxmind (or Google data if you can get that ;) For IPv6: RIR data (which is what GRH uses, which is what is used by the little flag at the bottom of this page) The tricks employed by Maxmind and other such companies is basically collecting/buying lots of IP,city,country combinations from sites like Ebay and other places where you fill in your details. They assume that the address you enter is the address you are at that moment, then, based on how often a combination occurs, take the best match. For IPv6 there is simply too little use at the moment to do the above trick, also when they start doing it, it will most likely get limited per /48, as that should be a single site at a single location.
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 18 March 2008 15:13:02
I have already used Maxmind's database and that works quite well for my needs, IPv4 wise. What is RIR and GRH? A quick search didn't indicate what the acronyms are.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 18 March 2008 15:37:29
RIR - second hit google(RIR) GRH - 5th hit on google(GRH)
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 18 March 2008 19:55:42
Thanks for the answer. BTW I checked again with Google and while RIR does appear, GRH with the URL you specified did not appear until the fourth page.
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 18 March 2008 20:08:57
I had a look at the GRH (Ghost Route Hunter) page, and the RIR (Regional Internet registry) page on Wikipedia. Is there a location from which I can download a copy of the RIR data and are there any publicly available scripts for this?

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker