SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Dynamic DNS service, supporting IPv6?
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 17 March 2008 20:09:18
Currently I am using dyndns.org to support automatically registering my host with a DNS, so it is accessible by name. Currently this service doesn't support IPv6 and does not have any current plans to do so (I asked). Are there any services similar to this that support IPv6?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 17 March 2008 20:40:11
At least the tunnel endpoint (tun::2) already has a AAAA record, thus you can always use a "yourhostname.domainname.de CNAME tunnelendpoint." if your dns host doesn't support AAAA records ;) The prefixes you get are static so there is nothing dynamic that needs to be done there.
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 18 March 2008 15:10:27
While my IPv6 address is static, my IPv4 address is dynamic which is why I am looking for such a service.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 18 March 2008 15:35:58
I thus assume you mean to have a hostname with a static IPv6 address, but a dynamic IPv4 address? Why not simply avoid the latter and just use the static IPv6 address?
[ie] Carmen Sandiego on Wednesday, 24 June 2009 16:52:48
I'm using 6in4 and teredo (well, miredo, the linux implementation of teredo) for various hosts, and these give IPv6 addresses that change occasionally. It would be very nice if there were a Dynamic DNS service that I could use which would swizzle to a new IPv6 address via "wget -6 ..." just like I currently do in my network setup scripts for an IPv4 dynamic dns entry, "wget -4 --quiet --output-document=- http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?xxx". When I suggest IPv6 to people, the ability to connect in through NAT is one advantage that seems compelling. But it is even more compelling if we make it really easy to set up an IPv6 dynamic DNS entry.
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 18 March 2008 19:50:36
I am using a traditional ISP, which does not yet support IPv6 and the IPv4 addresses that they allocate are dynamic. At the same time I am using Aiccu to make my computer via IPv6. I ended up finding a service that fits the bill: http://freedns.afraid.org/ I have entered my AAAA as a static address and then have a client on my computer that updates the IPv4 portion of the entry.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker