SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

When are subnets considered unused?
[at] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 12 March 2008 12:27:39
Hi, since 2008-03-08 i have my tunnel, now I can request a subnet but since I don't really have the hardware atm to do something usefull - i'll be working with just occasionally up virtual machines. Will SixXS consider this as not being used and free my subnet? I'd rather wait some time to prepare my personal lab than to go thru the hassle (on my side and SixXS side) to contact stuff. So: Will my subnet be considered "valid use" if I just use a few hosts (<5) and those are up only occasionally?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 14 June 2008 01:58:50
I see you didn't get a response so I'll post something here. Here is a timeline for my request and stuff Jan 19th -- Account requested and approved, Tunnel requested and approved Feb 17th -- Subnet requested and approved I think I had it up for a "week" in between Jan 19th and Feb 17th but I didn't know that I had the points added until that point. I had been trying to get my router to use the capability. About a month ago I finally got my router to not only have connectivity at the router level but it also is broadcasting my subnet to my network. I use it for at home primarily to provide IPv6 connectivity to services already available on the internet. The reason for the request was given simply as to provide connectivity to home machines.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 21 June 2008 08:03:15
If you have a second host, you have a valid use for a subnet. While I think it's silly to give out /48s for folks that don't want them (99% of us could just use a /64), that's what an RFC or something calls for ISPs to give out. Of course, /63s could easily be given out to home users and save a lot of space. But my point is that I believe a tunnel and /48 subnet requires less resources on the POP than two tunnels. Half the keep-alives, and all that. I have a tunnel and subnet at work and a pair at home. At work, I'm the only one presently using IPv6. But I don't have to do anything when I go back and forth, my laptop just gets an automatic address thanks to radvd setup on a permanent server at each location. No mess with AICCU on my laptop, no tunnels going up and down and my end-point changing, just a new host showing up on an already routed subnet. The only time I turn up my third tunnel on my laptop is when I'm at neither location. I doubt I'll ever get uptime points again from my laptop.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker