SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

IPv6 tunnel when not at home
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 11 December 2003 19:33:18
Hi, is there any sensible way to get a IPv6 tunnel running when not being at home (especiallay at university)? I have a heartbeat tunnel running at home (dynamic IP, but almost 24/7 up). At university I successfully configured a manual tunnel from my notebook to my dialup host, giving my notebook access to private IPv4 / public IPv6 hosts behind me dialup and the rest of the IPv6 world. So far so good What is the preferable way to do IPv6 tunneling for this notebook - try to get a second SixXs tunnel (might be tough because I might not qualify for a second tunnel and I would have to beg for credits anyway). It might be neccessary to patch the heartbeat client too because this notebook is running Mac OS X and would run behind some VPN at university which does some strange NAT. - continue to tunnel to my dialup host. Only sensible if there is something like a heartbeat-server (a stripped down version) available - which could run on my dialup to accept tunnels from my notebook.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 12 December 2003 08:45:44
ipv6 has some new features besides bigger address-space... checkout mobility otions.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 12 December 2003 10:29:08
I read about the mobile extensions of IPv6, but I have not seen any recent working implementations of it. I would have to get IPv6 connectivity anyway to take advantage of it, wouldn't I? My university is still IPv4 only - and I will have to run the tunnel endpoint locallly on my notebook. So how can IPv6 mobility help here?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 14 December 2003 18:27:47
Just request a second tunnel. The client should run perfectly well on MAC OS X as that is just another form of BSD. When you don't have control of the NAT at your university your are ofcourse at a loss, maybe it's time to talk to the admins and get them going with IPv6?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 16 December 2003 09:24:52
My university uses 1 internal IP <-> 1 external IP NAT-ing so it should be no problem. As I already said manual tunnels are no problem. I already asked the admins of my university if there are any IPv6 plans. Unfortunately they are "too busy" at the moment and there are no plans yet - although their next hop is the University of Essen, which has IPv6 and although they posted an arcticle "IPv6 now" in their magazine. It's a nice example of the diversity "what to say" and "what" to do". I might have been the first one who asked for IPv6 connectiviy and IPv6 has a huge chicken and egg problem at the moment. Even at universities most people think IPv6 is still far far away in the future and nobody needs that. :{
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 16 December 2003 16:41:31
Just tell them that if they don't do it now, the americans will beat them, see the various news articles on IST IPv6 Cluster or HS247.com.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 23 December 2003 17:12:05
I doubt they will be impressed by that. The only way I see is to create demand for IPv6. (persuading other students to jump on the IPv6 train - many many mails to our admins requesting IPv6). But there is nothing one can do at christmas time. There are even more anti-IPv6 places in the internet. My girlfriend's DSL router doesn't support IP protocol 41 forwarding and I am asking for a firmware update.
[at] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 26 December 2003 12:36:54
What I currently do is manually reconfigure my gif interface on my home firewall. I am lucky enough to have a pseudo-static ipv4 IP at home. So I configured a gif interface for ipv6-over-ipv4 tunneling, and only need to change the other endpoint ipv4 address to get things working. So I just ssh to a dedicated account and execute a script with the current ipv4 address of my laptop as argument. OTOH, if anyone knows of any progressing MIP6 implementation, I'd be interested to have a look. The one project which can be found on the net seems to have had its last release 1999, which doesn't seem very promising...
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 26 December 2003 15:13:54
The above, having a tunnel that moves along with a changing endpoint and doesn't always require it to be active is exactly where the heartbeat comes in place. MIP6 and related schemes would only be useful when you also have IPv6 at the location you are visiting and I guess that is something that is lacking. Next to that MIP6 is made so that other hosts can reach you while in transit or while changing IP's etc...

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker