SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Dedicated server providers with native IPv6?
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 18 February 2008 21:23:04
This might be a useful FAQ page - where can I rent a dedicated server (or colocate a server) and get a native IPv6 allocation? I've been renting a server from a typical host for a few years, however like many providers their IPv6 plans are always "coming soon". I've been using a combination of 6to4 and tunnels for quite a while now, after having a quick look at some other hosts it seems apparent that they're just not bothering. Seeing as this site has a native IPv6 ISP list and a domain registrar for IPv6, maybe a list of dedicated/colo/virtual server providers could be added as a FAQ page? I doubt it would be that big, there aren't that many providers! It could also be dropped at a later date when it becomes more commonplace.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 18 February 2008 22:21:57
Check GRH's DFP Tool which will list all the ISP's in a certain country that at least have IPv6 active in BGP. This tells you that the ISP has at least an IPv6 prefix and also if and how well they are connected to the rest of the world. We don't have a separate FAQ entry listing "native IPv6 colos" as in effect any ISP can do this the moment they turn on BGP and have global connectivity. Plugging in Ethernet is really way too easy and that is all there is too it for them to get it to their customers. As such, the best way to get it is to ask your current provider or the one you would like to host at, if they don't tell them that you are going somewhere else, then check GRH and find one that does. And really, that list is quite long as it is so easy to do, but you of course do have to go somewhere that is actually not skimming on things or reselling as these places don't tend to be have time/money/etc for doing innovative things, the question is of course then also if they can actually provide good hosting to you in the first place. Of course, you can also check the ISPs where the SixXS PoPs are hosted, all (except for the NREN's ;) ) offer native IPv6 hosting possibilities for a long time already.
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 19 February 2008 03:55:26
You make it sound so easy! I'm sure the moving with your feet method might encourage hosts if there were enough users asking for it. I'd guess if I actually did this then I'd be the first to give it as a reason for leaving. The majority of people will stick with it and use IPv4, or maybe sign up for yet another tunnel. My host is a fairly cheap one, however I don't have large amounts of money to waste on high quality hosting for a personal server. Funnily enough though my current host has started some IPv6 offerings. The sad thing is that due to the complexities of integrating it into the current system and the fact that all allocations are done manually, they'll be charging quite a significant amount extra for it (29 EUR/month). Looks like I'll stick with a tunnel. :(
[us] Carmen Sandiego on Tuesday, 19 February 2008 21:16:45
:D i think alot of isp's will not charge for it, if you'd like to keep looking I could help you, with no bias. free of charge :) let me know. n0ah network: [ xzziroz.net on solaris/sparcv9 routed via netbsd/x86 ] code: [ c :: perl :: sh ] os: [ solaris :: bsd :: linux ] education: [ AS in Network Administration and Support ] security: [ network :: software ]
[ie] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 20 February 2008 18:53:29
I don't work for them nor be a client of them, but blacknight.ie are offering IPv6 hosting. An example of a hosted website on IPv6: http://www.menupages.ie/

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker