SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

What about road warriors?
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 06 February 2008 17:03:35
I just succesfully setup a tunnel to my always-on iMac with OS X 10.5.1 at home. Works like a charm, it feels like I'm connected to a whole new world :-) But, I also have a PowerBook which is only awake when I work on it (too much) but also switches from many locations. Sometimes I'm at five different workplaces on a day. What is the best tunnel choice for me in this case? I don't want to loose credits but I do want to understand what it means to be on IPv6 from a road warrior setup. Anyone else doing this? S.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 06 February 2008 17:33:57
AYIYA is the tunnel type for this: - goes active when you send packets - heartbeat included, thus shutdown when you don't have the client active - tunnel moves along wherever you are - works behind NAT and firewalls Very handy to always have activated, as the IPv6 address, which is static, follows you all around the world (tried this in at least 8 countries by now :)
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 06 February 2008 17:46:06
Great. I'll request a second tunnel and start playing with that! S.
[no] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 06 February 2008 20:24:21
I realise that the tunnel solution is most likely to "just work", but my gut feeling is that the "correct" setup would use IPv6 mobility (RFC 3775) for road warriors. Anyone with any experience with such a setup?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 06 February 2008 20:33:47
For IPv6 mobility, see: http://www.nautilus6.org/ The problem with this is though that not a lot of stacks actually implement this, as such, using it doesn't have any performance additions. The other problem is that you still need to get connectivity from somewhere, which would cause, in effect, double tunneling anyway, thus why use mobility, when AYIYA already solves the problem. (okay, mobility is more fun to play with ;)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker