SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

A bit confused about the /64 routed subnet
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 12 March 2012 19:04:01
I am a bit confused as to how I got a Routed /64 Subnet that I did not ask for. I am working through what I will need for the various networks I have, but I have not determined how to fix my various VLANs to be available over the same subnet summary. I was just confused to find this disabled in my home page. Any information even just to answer the curiosity would be appreciated. Thanks
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 13 March 2012 00:24:52
I am a bit confused as to how I got a Routed /64 Subnet that I did not ask for.
Please see the news page.
I am working through what I will need for the various networks I have, but I have not determined how to fix my various VLANs to be available over the same subnet summary.
If you have separate (V)LANs you will need multiple /64, as a /64 is used per routed network. The default routed subnet thus won't fit, but a full /48 will do the trick easily as that contains 65536 /64's.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 13 March 2012 02:22:56
Thank you for your follow up. I have read the news article now and actually understood the correlation. I needed to get out my secret decoder wheel to find out that CPE stood for customer-premises equipment or customer-provided equipment. I guess now I need to learn a bit more, but may be this tunnel will help delay getting a full /48 until I know enough to make more use of it. Thanks again.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker