SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Routing subnet to a new tunnel?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 27 February 2012 21:21:15
Since the Ashburn, VA PoP is down, with no ETA, I'm wondering if our subnet can be rerouted to a tunnel at the Boston PoP? This would get us up again without renumbering. If we have to renumber, I would just find another local tunnel broker.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 28 February 2012 21:08:50
I think I asked this the last time it went down for an extended period. When it came back up, I deactivated the new one. I would try to run two tunnels, but don't have the patience (or adequate eyesight these days, unfortunately...).
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 29 February 2012 17:58:35
I requested a static tunnel, but was given an ayiya tunnel instead. I suppose that is so I don't have to keep it up when Ashburn comes back online.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 01 March 2012 02:19:53
Do you happen to know if it's a hardware failure or just something like the OS needs to be reloaded on the server?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 01 March 2012 09:28:28
Looks like it's back up with an upgrade! :D
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 02 March 2012 01:50:44
Ashburn is up. I will keep the ayiya tunnel for a client. You can save $$$ on internet by getting a single IP, and in many cases (I'm working to expand the list) you can then use IP6 to address the servers. This is not workable for a public website, for instance, but for private services (mail, webmail, app webui) it can work if all the users can get IP6 (via tunnel most likely in the US). Another use case is alternate access - put the IP6 ayiya tunnel on a secondary intermittent natted IP4 connection which is not the primary route.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 02 March 2012 01:55:33
The answer, BTW, is no - subnets cannot be rerouted to a tunnel at a different PoP. Unfortunately. Would be a peachy solution for PoP outages. But what do you want for free? This is all just temporary until ISPs offer native IP6. And ISPs currently offer IP4 subnets that can switch routing between two independent feeds for redundancy. So I'm sure they will offer similar for IP6 subnets.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker