SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

rdns for a /48
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 24 February 2012 02:59:30
Not sure if this should go under Setup, but this seems like a better place for it. Since the subnets allocated are /48s (and even if they were smaller), there are 2^80 individual addresses inside it. Even just using one /64, this seems impossible to enter rdns for. So my question is, how would you go about configuring rdns for a subnet, if it's not already configured? And if it is configured already, what's used for this? I won't want fancy rdns entries, just something like 2001-db8-f6e2-231-9874-f3f0-f123-4567.example.com (except with working forward dns). I'm just curious and I would like proper rdns for any address that might be used, if possible.
rdns for a /48
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 24 February 2012 09:03:46
One either sets up a PowerDNS with a generator in there for the reverse which generates matching forward and reverse addresses, or what most people do: only populate what one uses.
rdns for a /48
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 24 February 2012 21:29:45
Hmm, so the way to do it for an entire block would be to get a VPS or preferably dedicated server and use lua to process all requests, doing a syntax and prefix check and returning the appropriate PTR or AAAA record? Or is there some easier way that I'm missing? Not that that would be _hard_, but it would require learning lua :p
rdns for a /48
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 26 February 2012 13:41:09
You can program PowerDNS backends in a variety of programming languages, thus lua is not the only one. Your easy way out though is to simply only register reverses for the hosts that actually need it and don't bother with the rest of them.
rdns for a /48
[no] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 26 February 2012 02:23:43
The easiest would be dynamic dns, but the implementations are in general not mature. I would choose to use a combination of routing schemes and dns schemes. I.e you want to split your 48 up in 64 the questions is: do you need it? do you use stateless dhcp and want to reflect the eui64? But if you do, you can consider using a /96 to identify the hosts in your subnet. This would require alot less dns-data..

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker