SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

IPv6 tunnel speed vs IPv4 speed
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 28 November 2003 00:02:36
Hello, on my IPv6 enabled Linux box I ran mirrorselect of Gentoo Linux (which downloads files from any mirror to test which one is the fastest). I was somewhat surprised that ftp.ipv6.uni-erlangen.de seems the fastest for me and I wonder if mirrorselect is somewhat flawed when testing ipv6 servers. The latency to the POP is realatively good and the tunnel works stable now (after unblocking proto-41) and a test download from ipv6.uni-erlangen almost fills my downstream. But it sounds strange that ipv6.uni-erlangen.de is faster than every other mirror I can reach. Comments?
[de] Shadow Hawkins SixXS PoP Administrator on Friday, 28 November 2003 12:44:38
Why are you astonished about this? OK, a packet takes a little scenic route Erlangen - Berlin - Munich - Nuremberg - Frankfurt - You, but the whole IPv6 path apart from your tunnel is native with at least 34Mbps and lots of spare capacity. Robert
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 28 November 2003 18:17:21
It just sounds somewhat surprising that the advantage easily compensates the overhead when tunneling one protocol into another and choosing an indirect route (me -> pop -> erlangen). The ipv4 address of uni-erlangen was tested too, along with some other servers which have some hops less than the ipv6 path Another reason might be that I tested another tunnel some time ago which was so slow that you couldn't use it for much more than pinging. :) I'll do some more serious testing some days later when I qualify for a subnet delegation and connect my main boxes to the IPv6 internet.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker