SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Mobile devices and IPv6
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 07 January 2012 14:10:25
Hello All, I consider bying myself a new mobile phone. One of my plans is to start using it for my agenda, also while I'm "on the road". Then I know some sites which offer facilities to synchronise the agenda over the internet, and their packages can just as well be used on self-owned servers. And in this context, IPv6 opens possibilities to be able to use and update the mobile device's agenda on my own IPv6 internal-network server (i.e. without any such tricks like IPv4's port forwarding, which I want to avoid all together) from outside of my LAN. Hence my question : which are the possibilities to obtain an IPv6 IP address on mobile devices ? I guess this depends on the mobile operator if one receives an IPv6 address by default. But what are the possibilities to use IPv6 on a mobile device if the operator himself doesn't provide IPv6 access ? Maybe issues like the mobile's OS (Android, Windows 7, Symbian, ..., ...) is also playing some role of significance ?
Mobile devices and IPv6
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 07 January 2012 18:25:26
Then I know some sites which offer facilities to synchronise the agenda over the internet, and their packages can just as well be used on self-owned servers.
DaviCal is one of the best ones there is. I think only Nokia does not support CalDAV.
which are the possibilities to obtain an IPv6 IP address on mobile devices ?
Symbian since quite old versions, iPhone, Android all support IPv6. Due note though that mobile operators don't have IPv6 yet and thus you won't get connectivity there. Also even though the above platforms support IPv6 they tend to only support it on Wifi. (Symbian I am sure that it also works on the 3G link) But even if the platform supports it, the app itself also needs to support it. In the end, for at least the next couple of years you will need IPv4 for this to work seamlessly. Fortunately, CalDAV is actually just HTTP and thus runs perfectly fine over port 80/443 which can easily be forwarded or proxied. If you have Android or Maemo and are able to get to the root of it there are people who are running AICCU with AYIYA tunnels on that.
Mobile devices and IPv6
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 07 January 2012 19:13:31
Talking of
DaviCal is one of the best ones there is.
I had zarafa in mind, but there are quite a lot of alternatives that could without any doubt do the trick for my modest set of requirements, I guess.
If you have Android or Maemo and are able to get to the root of it there are people who are running AICCU with AYIYA tunnels on that.
Does this work OK (/ reliably) ? Do the sources have to be patched in any way ? If yes, can these modified sources be found somewhere ? (and I assume the license doesn't forbid this way of proceeding ?)
Mobile devices and IPv6
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 07 January 2012 19:16:55
Does this work OK (/ reliably) ?
Google for (AICCU Maemo) etc and you will find various folks who did this.
Do the sources have to be patched in any way ?
Generally one only need to install the tun/tap kernel module which is the hardest part. AICCU itself will cross compile easily apparently.
If yes, can these modified sources be found somewhere ?
Google and you'll find them ;)
(and I assume the license doesn't forbid this way of proceeding ?)
AICCU has a BSD license applied which basically allows one to do as much as almost anything with it.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker