SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Anyway to find PoP bandwidth caps?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 02 January 2012 16:55:34
After getting my tunnel and subnet setup the IPv6 performance seems very slow. I used a few bandwidth tests I found online and it looks like the PoP I am using implements a 256kbps cap. This was the closest PoP to me but there are a few others that have about the same ping time. Is there any way to tell what kind of bandwidth cap a PoP has between switching? I did some searches on SixXS and only found one FAQ stating that each PoP is free to set its own bandwidth limits. PS: does the forum have a search feature? I wanted to search for the answer before posting but couldnt find any way to so.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 02 January 2012 16:57:52
Typo, I meant to ask: Is there any way to tell what kind of bandwidth cap a PoP has before switching?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 02 January 2012 17:20:38
As per the FAQ: there is no limit, except a physical one, on the PoPs. As 'bandwidth' is a combination of the IPv4 path between you and the PoP and then the IPv6 path between the PoP and the destination IPv6 address, it makes little sense to state any bandwidth capabilities. It is quite likely that your endpoint is the slowest link in that path, thus there is little to change there from our side anyway. (And if you have more capacity than the PoP has, you should not complain getting those speeds ;)
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 02 January 2012 17:33:30
I saw that FAQ, but I also see in the Why SixXS FAQ it states: Each PoP has its own policy, managed by the owner (the ISP). Black & white listed IP(v4) addresses. Maximum amount of tunnels. Maximum allowable latency/loss. Maximum bandwidth to be used. Maximum traffic to be used. My IPv4 connections has loads of bandwidth, 12mbps. I have used other IPv6 tunnels that work better (but still have bandwidth issues). It was asked how I define slow. In two ways. Basic webpages like ipv6.google.com take 2-3 seconds to load (ipv4 versions loads nearly instantly) and also using public sites to test IPv6 throughput, they are reporting about 250kbps. I am setting pretty low latency (about 40ms pinging the IPv4 tunnel endpoint address and about 100ms pining ipv6.google.com over the tunnel), but the throughput seems to suffer.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 02 January 2012 17:43:32
Maximum bandwidth to be used.
In the form of a physical limitation or overal bandwidth to the PoP. As far as we are aware though not a single PoP does this as they have a lot more capacity than the port the PoP is connected at.
My IPv4 connections has loads of bandwidth, 12mbps.
Only 12mbit? That is not so much. Which ISP is this btw, as a lot of American ISPs apply QoS. Also note that if the package of your ISP says "12mbit" that is only the maximum speed not the speeds one can always obtain to every destination on the Internet.
Basic webpages like ipv6.google.com take 2-3 seconds to load
ipv6.google.com is distributed into various clusters. Depending on where your DNS request comes from they point you to a different IP address. That address might be on the other side of the planet. In europe it is common to see 7ms towards the IPv6 versions of Google (eg 2a00:1450:4001:c01::67 for ipv6.google.com) while in the US it is not unlikely to see over 100ms to eg 2001:4860:4002:802::1011.
(ipv4 versions loads nearly instantly)
Compare a traceroute in IPv4 and IPv6 and it will become clear where this takes a huge detour. Google is present in IPv4 land almost at every IX and in quite a few cases the hosts are located at the ISPs themselves for IPv4 but not for IPv6. I think you will need to contact Google for any problems with their servers though.
using public sites to test IPv6 throughput, they are reporting about 250kbps.
What are the network paths on both IPv4 and IPv6 to those sites? Also, did you ask your ISP if they are doing QoS alike things?
but the throughput seems to suffer.
You could check with wireshark to diagnose this, maybe there are syn/ack latency issues that are causing this.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 02 January 2012 19:12:04
Thanks, you pretty much answered my question; there are no caps, that helps. It sounds like some of the issues I am seeing are just limitations somewhere along the line. I am using AT&T and I know they do traffic shaping. I can't imagine they would limit access to protocol 41, but you never know. It is a consumer grade connection so tech support will have no clue what I am talking about if I try to ask. I know there are connections availed that offer a lot more than 12mbps, my point was that 12 is more than enough to load webpages. 12 is the cap, I know it isn't guaranteed, but typical I do get the full 12. On the IPv6 side I was only getting 2-3% of that bandwidth, about 0.3mpbs. For my needs this will work, I am really just testing out IPv6 addressing and don't really need the bandwidth. It just means I will have to put rules in my router to block the IPv6 version of YouTube and other streaming sites so that they work correctly.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 02 January 2012 19:23:58
I am using AT&T and I know they do traffic shaping
AT&T is the prime proponent of Net Neutrality. They will definitely rate limit anything they do not like.
I can't imagine they would limit access to protocol 41,
As described in the FAQ, it is an 'unknown' protocol and thus it falls automatically in 'everything else' which is likely quite limited.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 02 January 2012 17:00:46
Please read the FAQ: The tunnel is slow
the IPv6 performance seems very slow.
Can you define 'very slow' ?
the PoP I am using implements a 256kbps cap.
As per the above FAQ there is no capping on our side of the link. Your ISP might actually cap stuff and especially with such a number that might quite well be what is happening.
only found one FAQ stating that each PoP is free to set its own bandwidth limits
If you read the above mentioned FAQ that FAQ states that it is not the PoP that sets any limits but that it is mere physics doing so.
PS: does the forum have a search feature? I wanted to search for the answer before posting but couldnt find any way to so.
Google/Bing/Yahoo/Baidu/etc all are much better search engines than anything that we could cobble up, as such, use that.
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 04 January 2012 02:57:21
After getting my tunnel and subnet setup the IPv6 performance seems very slow
I noticed in your load balancing post you mentioned you are using a Cisco Router. Is this a IPv6 CBAC issue? This caught me out and I was seeing around 200k on a 6Mbps link. Problem was cured by updating to a later 12.4 IOS. I'd be interested to know what version your router is running.
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 20 July 2012 14:10:51
I arrived at this page as I was experiencing some problems with bandwidth myself, but after reading through the post I now think myself rather lucky. My problem is that my IPv6 speeds are nowhere near comparable to my IPv4 speeds, and from my so-far limited research I think this could be down to the tun-tap adapter installed on my PC using AICCU. The tunnel adapter shows as a 10Mbps interface, which when I do speed tests I get around 65Mbps on IPv4 and 11Mbps on IPv6, which would make sense if the tunnel adapter itself is limited to 10Mbps (even though it's slightly over). I've yet to find out if I can increase this limit to see if this is the source of the problem. If I find anything I will post back. Phil
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 20 July 2012 14:26:15
The tunnel adapter shows as a 10Mbps interface,
That is irrelevant. It just announces the speed wrong but that is not a limiting factor. If you google a bit you'll find in several FAQs etc that the speed indicated is bogus.
when I do speed tests I get around 65Mbps on IPv4 and 11Mbps on IPv6,
You do speed tests where and how? Which hosts are involved? What is the path involved? What is your setup? (cpu/memory/connectivity/etc) What tunnel type are you using etc.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker