SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Connect multiple server in a datacenter to SixXS
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 08 November 2007 18:35:20
Hello, actually we have sucessfully connected our office to the SixXS network. So far everything works fine. We have about 10 servers in a Datacenter in Germany (Hetzner) and now wish to also connect them to IPv6. The servers have IPv4 connectivity between each other, but no "native" IPv6 traffic is possible between them. What is the best/recommended way to bring them to IPv6 connectivity ? I can see the following ways: 1. Each server has it's own tunnel and Subnet to a SixXS POP. - Advantages: No single point of failure, simple setup and traffic routing - Disadvantages: We require a lot of subnets, but only use a few IP's, Multiple tunnels/subnets required from SixXS 2. One server has a tunnel and Subnet from a SixXS PO and is then routing the IPv6 traffic via some VPN to the other servers - Advantages: Only single connection and subnet to a SixXS POP required - Disadvantages: Single point of failure, complex setup with additional VPN's Any other ideas ? Thanks.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 08 November 2007 19:11:55
I think, that you should go with the vpn solution, at least this way the traffic between your hosts is kept in the hetzner network. Of course, this doesn't fix the redundancy thing. Maybe you can actually have one subnet routed via two tunnels, though I really don't know, if sixxs allows this.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 08 November 2007 21:02:08
I've posted content on the SixXS wiki regarding my own experience with a situation like this. I setup a VPN using tinc. I'm sure you can setup some form of routing redundancy with Quagga. https://noc.sixxs.net/wiki/Category:Routing
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 10 November 2007 15:36:18
Hi. Well, I assume all of your servers have a static IPv4 address. So you could setup one of your servers as "tunnel server" which keeps the connection to SixXS and will serve subnets of your IPv6 range to your other server over static tunnels. There is no need for VPN (except if you require traffic encryption). Also you don't need any routing software like quagga if you only handle 10 subnets. Just keep your configuration somewhere on a secure place in copy. So you could use another of your servers as "tunnel server" when your original tunnel server is broken. You only need to modify the network configuration on a different server and update the IPv4 address for the tunnel at the SixXS web interface. My "tunnel server/router" also get IPv6 connectivity from SixXS and provide IPv6 subnets to internal servers over tunnels. It's a really easy solution when using Debian. Regards, Dennis
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 12 November 2007 09:32:34
That's a good idea. (It was just too obvious as to see it) Privacy isn't required between the servers, since it's anyway "public" traffic between them, and it's the responsibility of the applications to make appropriate encryption if needed. (Like ssh, https etc.) Thanks André

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker