SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Temporary native IPv6 - what should happen to my heartbeat tunnel?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 06 December 2011 16:08:22
Hi there, I am taking part in a betatest of my ISP which will give me a native IPv6 connection in a few days. But only temporary, planned until march. Now is the question: should I delete my tunnel for the time and create a new one when I need it again or just not use it? I will most likely need it again when the test is over as they have to take the changes back they make to my account until IPv6 gets rolled out for everyone. Thomas
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 06 December 2011 16:27:51
Just don't send heartbeats and the PoP will unconfigure it, then when you need it again just start sending heartbeats and presto it works again. As for your ISP, do ask them that they delegate you a /48 or at minimum a /56 + ability to delegate reverse, other users will be more than happy for you giving them that feedback.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 06 December 2011 17:06:05
As far as i know they are going to delegate a /56 which will change everytime I reconnect...
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 06 December 2011 17:19:52
That sounds horrible too. Btw, a lot of ISPs are deploying 6rd, which is not native IPv6, it is just a proto-41 tunnel to a local endpoint, which is nice, but not native as you are still sending packets over IPv6.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 06 December 2011 18:45:07
Most people here want it that way as they are afraid that they can be tracked forever when they have a fixed subnet. See Deutsche Telekom stellt Datenschutztechnik fr IPv6 vor (German)
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 06 December 2011 18:52:47
Deutsche Telekom has a /19 of address space thus they should easily be able to give out /56s or even /48s (which is why they have a /19) to every customer they have in the next 10 years. As for the tracking, you will be tracked through other means than your IP address, cookies being the easiest, behavior being the other (See also my talk at CCC last year).
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 06 December 2011 19:03:07
The question i ask myself now is, why do I need more than a /56 as a private user? I don't really see a usecase for that. Most customers of Deutsche Telekom probably don't even know what IPv6 is. They just want a connection to the internet...
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 07 December 2011 12:06:25
You can also keep your sixxs tunnel up in parallel. This is what I do for my tunnel: I have native static IPv6 support (IPv6 over PPP) from my provider iway.ch and run the sixxs tunnel in addition. Has the advantage of receiving new credits every two weeks. My radvd announces both prefixes, but one with a reasonable AdvPreferredLifetime and the other with 0 (i.e. not used for new connections). When I want to switch my IPv6 connection, I just switch the AdvPreferredLifetime in radvd.conf. This is IPv6 multihoming - of course I still have just one physical uplink, so it is more an academic exercise than real redundancy ;-) Nicolas
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 07 December 2011 12:31:05
Unless you add source based routing to that or your other ISP does not properly implement BCP38, that won't work flawlessly.
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 07 December 2011 12:58:35
You are right - I use linux policy routing to create different routing tables for different source addresses (i.e. source address from sixxs -> default route via sixxs interface, source address from isp range -> default route via ppp interface). I forgot that on my previous post - that cost me quite some time doing it the first time...

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker