SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

XP: Suspend without losing IPv6 address
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 10 October 2007 17:15:24
If you put Windows XP in suspend mode, it tends to lose the auto-configured IPv6 address it had before. Not only that, but the system won't accept a new one until it is logged off or rebooted. I believe I found a solution for this problem... Device Manager -> Properties on Network Adapter -> Power Management: uncheck "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power." O-)
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 10 October 2007 19:39:58
If you put Windows XP in suspend mode, it tends to lose the
auto-configured IPv6 address it had before.
This is most likely because in the RA there is a lifetime flag. Then when you boot again the RA has expired. As such it is working correctly for this part. Check the configured lifetime of the RA on your RA server and make it longer if needed. I've over the last years never had an issue with that though and I hibernate daily. One can even hibernate SSH sessions and they are still alive when waking up the laptop the next day (catch: no traffic should be generated from the server). Also, are you talking about the RA+EUI64 address or the privacy ones?
Not only that, but the system won't accept a new one until it is
logged off or rebooted. I believe I found a solution for this problem...
Now that is really odd. Thus the question really is: what kind of network card is it? And which driver. Maybe, when the driver gets powered off the driver actually signals removal, which would indeed cause what you are describing and would indeed be avoided by toggling that flag.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 12 October 2007 23:09:56
I turn off privacy addressing on my work network, so the affected addresses are stateless autoconfigured from Quagga route advertisements. As for the part, I am using a D-Link DGE-530T gigabit NIC on my work machine.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker