SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Apache IPv6 Usage graphs
[be] Shadow Hawkins SixXS PoP Administrator on Tuesday, 08 November 2011 13:30:55
Hi all, We are currently upgrading all our webservers to run dual stack. All www records will also receive their quad A equivalent shortly. Because of this I was wondering what the best way would be to have somes ort of graphs for this, so a graph that will show me for example the % of IPv4 vs the % of IPv6 connections. Perhaps there is already a module for apache available for this ? We could ofcourse just parse the logfiles, but that would be my last option. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks Daan
Apache IPv6 Usage graphs
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 08 November 2011 16:53:01
Percentage of what? Traffic, Hits, real content, just images? Your solution set will consist out of: - traffic levels, for this one can do packet capture, netflow or interface statistics - hits, then you'll have to look in the It won't be very meaningful though as a couple of OSs do random IPv4/IPv6 based on latency and other undefined metrics (eg OSX Lion). Thus maybe the even better question is what you are trying to see in the statistics.
Apache IPv6 Usage graphs
[be] Shadow Hawkins SixXS PoP Administrator on Tuesday, 08 November 2011 20:12:54
I'd like to see in the statistics how many visitors of the websites (or even the entire webserver) are using IPv6 and how many are using IPv4. And then overtime be able to see growth in the number of IPv6 clients.
Apache IPv6 Usage graphs
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 08 November 2011 20:56:36
See the ways mentioned above, depends on what detail you want to see for what tool you pick. Likely the best tool is just some kind of log analyzer that supports IPv6.
Apache IPv6 Usage graphs
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 08 November 2011 22:34:12
Daan, Are you aware of this here ? It counts quite a lot of data, like e.g. the country the browser (visiting your site) is from, which browser type is visiting the site, etc, etc. Also the php sources are available, I think free to use. Those are available here. Hope this helps.
Apache IPv6 Usage graphs
[be] Shadow Hawkins SixXS PoP Administrator on Wednesday, 09 November 2011 09:12:38
Hey Philippe, This is indeed a interesting tool, and i saw it's made by Eric Vincke, our dear IPv6 guru :) When you run just a couple of website, this is indeed a very good solution to implement that does not require logfile parsing. But in this case a couple 100 of customer websites are running on a shared hosting server, and for every single hosting a seperate logfile is generated. Therefor I was looking for a solution on an apache level, since I can't really alter every website, nor do I like the idea of parsing every distinct logfile. But thank you for your suggestion! Kind Regards Daan
Apache IPv6 Usage graphs
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 09 November 2011 21:47:07
Daan, I understand your problem. In that case, it comes down to writing some Apache module (in which you write the C- equivalent of what's happening in Eric Vyncke's php code) and integrate the module in your Apache server with httpd.conf's 'LoadModule' directive. If I understand it correctly, existing sites should not be modified that way. The 2 Apache links of this page may be a good starting point? It's not that I've written any such module, but if you would need some help using the autotools to have your module built (i.e. in the usual './configure' and 'make' way), you may always contact me. I've recently been involved in some small project's autotools setup. For obtaining help in writing such C- module code itself, who knows you might have more luck in some Apache (module) developer's forum ?
Apache IPv6 Usage graphs
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 10 November 2011 10:44:50
In that case, it comes down to writing some Apache module [..]
Why bother, just run an analysis script over the log files that apache produces and you will get most of the numbers one will need. The only difference with that and the method that Eric uses is that you only get one hit instead of multiple. Tricks like the ones employed by Tore Anderson can resolve that. And thus possibly more interesting is his script collection
I've recently been involved in some small project's autotools setup.
For Apache modules one just uses apxs2 to build, much easier ;)
Apache IPv6 Usage graphs
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 10 November 2011 21:36:03
Daan and Philippe Those scripts are indeed free to use (and BTW I need to re-upload a more recent version). Back to the original question: I would also suggest that parsing of the log file is the easiest way to do this will count the actual hits over IPv6 and not only IPv6-enabled clients (which could have used IPv4 in some case). I do not have such scripts but this should be a good idea to write them and make them public (perl with associative arrays + checking ':' in the address to detect IPv6 address) -ric PS: thanks for the kind words :-)
Apache IPv6 Usage graphs
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 08 November 2011 18:03:35
I used to measure traffic to different VirtualHosts with mod_watch and mrtg back in 2000. That worked quite nicely back then and should fit your requirement at least if you care about the traffic, although I don't know what it's status is these days...

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker