SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Changing tunnel PoP, keep subnet?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 06 September 2007 11:33:21
I was reading "Moving out of state, what are my options?" and came across this comment: "...you can always decide to request a new tunnel+subnet from a new PoP and use that." If you do something like that because you had to change to a different PoP, is there a way to keep the same subnet? For example, it would be unfortunate to have to repopulate an established DNS server and reassign IP addresses for the network because of the new subnet. Can the existing subnet just be transferred to the new PoP? I don't intend to do this very thing I'm talking about, but I definitely am curious and it would be good information to know. Thanks, Dusty Wilson [1] https://noc.sixxs.net/forum/?msg=general-435711
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 06 September 2007 11:55:12
The solution to your problem seems to be to change the endpoint of the tunnel. The PoPs don't 'share' the /40's that are routed to each PoP, as such, the other PoPs are not able to route the /48 that you receive from that /40. There is an item on the TODO list for allowing BGP to be done between PoPs of the same ISP, but that won't be available for quite some time, not in the time that you can hold your breath even when you are a pearl diver at least.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 06 September 2007 12:23:17
I understand. The reason you can't simply keep your established subnet is because the subnets are not portable between PoPs. In a way, the subnet is owned by the PoP itself. Let me know if I'm wrong. Otherwise, case closed! Thanks, Dusty
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 06 September 2007 12:30:06
That is correct.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker