SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

OpenVZ static endpoint fails, AYIYA works
[nz] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 23 September 2011 10:42:46
I have two tunnels, one AYIYA which I use at home, and one with static endpoint, which my VPS is meant to connect to. When I point AICCU at the first tunnel (AYIYA) it works fine, but with the second one, it doesn't create the interface, and if I make a tun0 and point it at that it doesn't configure it correctly. Is anyone else having this problem with VPS's on OpenVZ?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 23 September 2011 10:54:21
OpenVZ does not support sit devices unless you have applied that specific patch.
[nz] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 23 September 2011 10:56:19
It works with the AYIYA tunnel though, how come it can create the interface with AYIYA, but not with 6to4?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 23 September 2011 10:57:42
AYIYA uses the 'tun' device. Proto-41 on Linux uses 'sit'.
[nz] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 23 September 2011 12:03:30
Ahhhh that explains it, thank you. I think I have tun enabled but not sit, what would I need to ask my VPS provider to enable to be able to create sit devices? Do I need bridge or IPv6 forwarding support too?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 07 November 2011 04:13:50
I am using tb-tun with a OpenVZ VPS and a static 6to4 tunnel.
wget http://tb-tun.googlecode.com/files/tb-tun_r14.tar.gz tar zxf tb-tun_r14.tar.gz gcc tb_userspace.c -l pthread -o tb_userspace setsid ./tb_userspace ipv6 [Server IPv4 address] > /dev/null ifconfig ipv6 up ifconfig ipv6 inet6 add [Client IPv6 address] ifconfig ipv6 mtu 1480 route -A inet6 add ::/0 dev ipv6 ip -6 route add default dev ipv6
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 07 November 2011 11:24:46
I am using tb-tun with a OpenVZ VPS and a static 6to4 tunnel.
You mean 6in4. 6to4 uses 2002::/16 address space.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 08 November 2011 00:31:23
You are right. I meant 6in4 and not 6to4. Btw does this forum have an edit button hidden somewhere?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 21 January 2013 22:13:06
If you use Debian/ Ubuntu you might find it useful to use this in your /etc/rc.local
EXTIP=$(/sbin/ifconfig venet0:0 |sed -rn 's/.*inet addr:(.*) P-t-P.*/\1/p') cat >> /etc/network/interfaces <<EOF iface sixxs0 inet6 v4tunnel address 2001:db8:ff00:1234::2 netmask 64 endpoint 78.35.24.124 local $EXTIP gateway 2001:db8:ff00:1234::1 ttl 64 up /sbin/route -A inet6 del default dev venet0 down /sbin/route -A inet6 add default dev venet0 iface sixxs1 inet6 static address 2001:db8:ff00:1234::2 netmask 64 gateway 2001:db8:ff00:1234::1 ttl 64 mtu 1480 pre-up start-stop-daemon -b -m -p /var/run/tbtun-\$IFACE.pid \\ -S -a /usr/local/sbin/tbtun -- \$IFACE 78.35.24.124 \\ $EXTIP sit pre-up sleep 1 up /sbin/route -A inet6 del default dev venet0 down /sbin/route -A inet6 add default dev venet0 post-down start-stop-daemon -p /var/run/tbtun-\$IFACE.pid -K post-down rm /var/run/tbtun-\$IFACE.pid EOF ifup sixxs1
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 21 January 2013 22:19:49
address 2001:db8:ff00:1234::2
That is an invalid/example/documentation IP address. I guess you missed to state to replace all kinds of values with the right values...
up /sbin/route -A inet6 del default dev venet0
down /sbin/route -A inet6 add default dev venet0
This would do nothing if there is no Router Advertisement and the route would come back if there is one...
iface sixxs1 inet6 static
address 2001:db8:ff00:1234::2
netmask 64
gateway 2001:db8:ff00:1234::1
Now you have lost me completely, you cannot configure an address twice, it can only exist in one location, unless you forgot to remove the 'sixxs0' definition, as that one does not work in situations where there is no 'sit' support and thus that sixxs0 is for if one has sit, and sixxs1 for one when uses tb-tun instead.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 22 January 2013 09:21:33
Yes, it's an example as everybody can. It was not my intention to write a full documentation about basics. In my OpenVZ container I don't see router advertisement on venet. Taking that default route down is necessary and works for me. Don't know whether bringing it up again when sixxs tunnel goes down is necessary... Yes, use either sixxs0 or sixxs1. In my example I only use one. Please fix your forum software not to corrupt whitespace!
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 22 January 2013 09:53:05
In my OpenVZ container I don't see router advertisement on venet. Taking that default route down is necessary and works for me.
If you do not have router advertisements, then nothing should be adding a default route either.
Don't know whether bringing it up again when sixxs tunnel goes down is necessary...
As you have no gateway, to point it at, there really is no point of adding a default route, the world is not directly connected to that interface.
Please fix your forum software not to corrupt whitespace!
Please elaborate what white space is 'corrupted', there is a <pre> block around example text thus if there is indentation or other whitespace it should be rendered properly.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 22 January 2013 10:45:01
If you do not have router advertisements, then nothing should be adding a default route either.
I have 2 OpenVZ containers and in both a default route is set on venet0 in /etc/network/interfaces and this file is overwritten at every bootup so I need to take the default route down when I bring up my SixXS tunnel.
Please elaborate what white space is 'corrupted', there is a <pre> block around example text thus if there is indentation or other whitespace it should be rendered properly.
I was losing tab indentation as normally seen in interfaces file and a two consecutive spaces were turned into one.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 22 January 2013 11:30:41
I have 2 OpenVZ containers and in both a default route is set on venet0 in /etc/network/interfaces and this file is overwritten at every bootup so I need to take the default route down when I bring up my SixXS tunnel.
Sounds like a bug in OpenVZ, the kernel you are using or another part of the environment. Default routes should never go to interfaces. And indeed if a broken default route exists you would have to remove it.
I was losing tab indentation as normally seen in interfaces file and a two consecutive spaces were turned into one.
Works for me: iface eth0 inet6 static address 2001:db8:1::2 netmask 64 gateway 2001:db8:1::1
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 22 January 2013 12:38:19
Hmm, never had problems with copy & paste before... Anyway, having an edit function would be nice.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 22 January 2013 12:53:23
We had an edit function, but as there is no history thus one would not be able to see how somebody stated something and then changed their view completely. As such we had to disable it unfortunately. What we should have though is a preview option, which will come one day... something with time.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 22 January 2013 09:22:48
Please use two spaces between (.*) and P-t-P

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker