SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Easy to make "gotchas" with addressing and routing
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 27 July 2007 00:15:40
1. Don't use (subnet)::/(netmask) as a regular address: its the anycast address for that subnet, and while pingable or usable, it can be quite unstable due to inequal routing support for the anycast function. 2. If the local subnet doesn't route correctly using RADVD, try using Quagga instead. Even if you're not using RIPng or OSPF, Quagga's route-advertisement daemon appears to function well. I put up a snippet on how to do this at https://noc.sixxs.net/forum/?msg=setup-554471
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 03 August 2007 20:38:12
Option 2 can be easily solved by just pre-configuring an address out of the /64 you want to RA onto the interface, generally one should use ::1, some version/kernel combos of radvd on Linux don't properly configure/announce an address otherwise.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 07 August 2007 05:49:04
Usually RADVD does work, but not all systems seem to get its broadcasts unless its address ends with ::1; my subnets use ::ffff, since I use some static IPv6 addresses on my network for administrative purposes (hence using ::1 for something else). Funny enough, it seems as though Windows systems are less picky about autoconfiguration than Ubuntu systems (they can get the address, but not always find the gateway).

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker