SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

+5 creds standards, how to disable tunnel
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 20 October 2003 12:00:24
Two questions that have a "this is obviously documented somewhere" ring to 'm, yet I can't find the answer to. 1) How is tunnel uptime judged? Are there determined latency/loss limits above which the tunnel is counted as unworthy? This in the light of gaining weekly credits of course. Are there differences in standards for heartbeat and static tunnels? 2) As mentioned on https://noc.sixxs.net/forum/?msg=general-25173, it's possible to disable a tunnel. I assume this means the tunnel is taken down and can be restored later with minimal loss of credits? (and without shamefull loss stats) If that's the case, how do I disable a tunnel (not that I intend to, but you never know)? The only thing I could find is the "Delete" button in the tunnelinfo page... (then again, this could be because I have a heartbeat tunnel)
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 20 October 2003 12:24:30
1) It just needs to ping on IPv6, thus the graphs need to draw a nice line; latency/loss is not checked, except for 100% loss meaning down. 2) Heartbeat tunnels can't be disabled as they are automatically turned off when there is no heartbeat. That was the whole idea of it :) Heartbeat tunnels are Note also that heartbeat tunnels only receive a credit update once this as they are expected to be more down than up. This update is done after a week so that one can request a subnet after that time. Yes, even if the tunnel hasn't been up at all. Also see: FAQ: Credits
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 22 October 2003 10:39:01
So heartbeat tunnels only receive credit once in their entire lifespan? That fits in nicely with the idea of on-the-go tunnels, even casual dialup usage. But it's a bit dissapointing for those who intend to keep their tunnel up at all costs, but just don't have access to a static ip. I think more users fall into that category than in the roadwarrior-with-ipv6-needs category. The accumulation of credits is motivating =) What if such a user wants to add a second tunnel to their sixxs account? They can't save... Perhaps a 3-level system would solve this: 1) Static tunnels. Heavy penalties for ip changes, heavy penalties for downtime. Fast credit accumulation. 2) Dynamic committed tunnels. Heavy or moderate penalties for downtime, no penalties for ip changes, moderate credit accumulation. 3) Dynamic casual tunnels. No penalties for downtime, no penalties for ip changes, no or really slow credit accumulation. It sounds like a lot of administrative overhead, but when you think about it (and consider the different types of internet connections available) it's really quite logical...
[se] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 22 October 2003 15:43:52
Only recieving credits once kind of sucks. I mean many people (including me) is online 24/7 and intend to keep their tunnels up. It's not like it's their fault that they're on Dynamic IP. I would rather have a static IP but none of the major ISP's offer that here. :( But of course, you get enough credits to request one subnet. I guess that's enough for many people.
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 22 October 2003 18:57:20
Indeed. I'm afraid that without the credit motivation most heartbeat tunnels will be unmaintained...
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 23 October 2003 00:00:41
What if such a user wants to add a second
tunnel to their sixxs account? They can't save...
Even though one doesn't accumulate points we can still check the graphs manually of your tunnel thus if you want a second tunnel we can always check how you have been maintaining it and grant you some extra credits.
Perhaps a 3-level system would solve this
This is an option, but never was the intention of the credit system. Basically the credit system was made so we could: - automate the one week uptime requirement for a subnet. - easily detect and disable down and unmaintained tunnels We didn't want any unmaintained tunnels because of the implication of people shouting abuse on the sight of proto-41 packets in their ZoneAlarm and other applications. The heartbeat client/server program solves this situation. I just did put it on the TODO list though so it might be done in the future depending on what time allows. First up is the Windows Client and the AutoConfig tool. <grin> 10-17 01:15 Tunnel endpoint 3ffe:8114:1000::27 pinged for 52 weeks Go figure :)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker