SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

amazing IPv6 scenario... could be?
[it] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 16 May 2007 18:53:21
Hi all I'm a newbie as for IPv6, but I have quite a knowledge of IPv4. I'm very excited with all the promises of IPv6 about auto configuration, route discovery, and so on. I've in my mind a quite interesting scenario and I would ask a thought from someone of you experts, whether this could be possible when connected to an ISP IPv6-enabled, or maybe also with some tunnel-service. I try to explain: Suppose that we have a building. Inside, we have 5 PCs, in 5 distinct houses. Each one has its connection to Internet with some ISP, let's say with a 2 Mb/s link. These 5 PCs could be networked autonomously with a WiFi. Would it be possible to set this network up (easily) with IPv6 so that a packet from the outside could reach any of the machines following the route that is at the moment the most unused? So that when the other PCs are idle, then one PC could have a 10 Mb/s link. Another big advantage would be that a (video) streaming with multicast could reach all the 5 PCs using only a link, and leaving the other links free for other uses. How do you see that? Is it possible at all? Thanks --Luca
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 16 May 2007 22:26:14
It's called either channel bonding or multihoming, this requires you to have an/several upstreams that work together with each other to achieve what you require. With multicast you can already have the setup where you have only 1 router receiving the content and then, due to multicast, forwarding it to the other hosts who are subscribed to the content. That is the basic principle on how multicast works. (Which reminds me to give multicast another big kick to get it out of beta)
[it] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 17 May 2007 01:05:51
With multicast you can already have the setup
where you have only 1 router receiving the content ...
Ok, but if I could use e.g. 2 of the 5 routers, I would have a 4 Mb/s stream available to each one of the machines. While still having 3 routers (6 Mb/s) for other uses shared between all the 5 machines.
It's called either channel bonding or multihoming...
I'll do some research, but could you please give some more little hint? E.g. is it something I could set up by myself or do I have to beg my ISP? And in the latter case, will things change when the ISP provides native IPv6? Thank you very much --Luca
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 17 May 2007 13:50:28
Same as IPv4, it involves either being an ISP or paying an ISP.
[it] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 17 May 2007 15:49:54
So, won't SHIM6 allow the end-user to announce (is term appropriate?) different routes to reach its IP?
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 18 June 2007 23:56:12
I guess this would only be possible if you would announces your own IP block to the world. You could then announce to your ISP('s) which hosts are behind each link. However, to loadbalance between those links you'll have to change the announcements dynamically and besides this I'm not sure how to properly handle a single host behind multiple links (to actually use the bandwith available). Although these are just my two cents and I could be wrong :) All in all I think you're better of getting just one big fat internet pipe and use some sort of QoS to give each client it's share :)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker