SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

IPv6 only SMTP don't receive message from v4 server
[it] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 06 July 2011 14:06:56
Hi, I explain my situation. I have a postfix smtp IPv6 only, due to my ISP that give me a dynamic and filtered port, v4 public ip. So I have thinked to build my mail server in IPv6 only but I have discovered that was impossible to send and receive mail to/from other v4 SMTP server. Actually I have solved partially: I can send to everyone, because I have found a free webmail service that is dual stack! Looking at the headers of the mail I have seen the address of that SMTP and I have setupped my postfix to relay mail over there. However I still loose all the mail incoming from v4 SMTP... And the most of that servers are still not dual stacked. I'm looking for a solution: I have thinked at some port proxy, to relay from v4 ip on port 25 to port 25 of my ipv6 SMTP address... Something similar to the proxy service offered from sixxs to browse some v4 site from ipv6 or to see v6 sites from v4... Something working at application layer. Anyone have some ideas about??? Thank you in advance, best regards!!! Francesco
[cz] Carmen Sandiego on Wednesday, 06 July 2011 19:13:49
Definitely your MTA can communicate only with IPv6-enabled MTAs. I've also tried to send mail to my domain (with ipv6 MXs) from GMail - it bounces mails back with error - Address doesn't exist (i.e. it tries to find A record for my MX, but MX has only aaaa record). As a possible solution you can find some cheap low-end VPS (~$3-5/month) and relay your mail through it, setting f.i. MX 0 to IPv6 (your host) in hope to get mail directly from someone who talks IPv6 and MX 10 to that relay for the rest ignorant public :)
[it] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 07 July 2011 08:13:48
Thank you Ruslan... It's increadible, really incredible that google have done only the search engine available in IPv6 (ipv6.google.com) and not made also the mail servers dual stacked! However, if someone here need a relay SMTP dual stacked I have subscribed a free webmail account at www.ip6.li (the website is in german but I'm italian and I have understood quite everything without any trouble). So maybe if we can't (at the moment, I hope) receive mail from old IPv4 single stacked server, at least we can send mails to everyone, as the relay manage if the receiving SMTP is v4 or v6. Registration is free and looking at the headers of email sent from that webmail is simple to find the SMTP called from the webmail frontend... Maybe Sixxs staff is thinking to make some TRT translator to solve that and to make reachable every SMTP, SSH, HTTP and many other services using IPv6 addressing from IPv4 cloud, as stated in RFC 3142. It should be VERY nice.... What do you think about? Best regards, Francesco.
[cz] Carmen Sandiego on Thursday, 07 July 2011 15:06:26
Frankly I can't understand why do you need some external mail to relay outgoing mail? Since you're using SixXS you're dual-stacked - i.e. you should be able to send mail with IPv4 protocol. Lack of static IPv4 just gives troubles for incoming mail. The same in my case - I've sent mail to gmail successfully from my MTA, but reply bounced as to non-existent IP for MX. In my case I can even setup inbound IPv4 mx - my IP stays as long as my server is up, and I've created script which checks my v4 IP and updates DNS zone correspondingly to reflect my current IP, script is ececuted as part of network init sequence and periodically in cron (just in case). But I don't want to get mail from v4 - so I've set only v6 MX :)
[it] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 08 July 2011 06:39:56
Let me explain better: I'm not dual stacked. My server is IPv6 only as I wanted to test interoperability between old IPv4 and new IPv6 servers. However I have a dynamic IPv4 (blacklisted by default as inside a dynamic pool of IPs, so it's useless for outbounding SMTP traffic - that's why a "well-knowed-static ip" relay is a must also for IPv4 only outbound traffic) and my ISP have blocked incoming traffic on ports 25, 110 and 143. So no way to run an IPv4 SMTP here; that's why I have started to think about IPv6...
[cz] Carmen Sandiego on Friday, 08 July 2011 07:58:39
Ok, now it is clear. Well then, people here are exchanging secondary NSes, so if your mail traffic is miserable you can try to ask for MX/Relay exchange :)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker