SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

uptime requiered for receiving 5ISK ?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 23 June 2011 14:30:50
I have a heartbeat tunnel setup running on an openwrt router. I had to compile my own openwrt build to force a wireless region setting because the eeprom of the wireless card contains a fixed US setting while I'm in germany and I need channel12+13. After reflashing I forgot to modify the aiccu hotplug script that doesn't work out of the box in the latest openwrt builds. After my daily reconnect forced by the ISP it failed to restart aiccu and I didn't noticed that because without subnet i have to login on the router to check the connection. Did I lost the 5ISK for the first week because of the 10h downtime ? Do I have to wait 2.5 weeks to get the 5 ISK ?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 23 June 2011 14:56:39
aiccu hotplug script
That scarily sounds like something that automatically starts/stops AICCU. Don't do that.
After my daily reconnect forced by the ISP it failed to restart aiccu
AICCU does not need any restarts, it knows how to handle changing IP addresses, it is where heartbeat and AYIYA are made for...
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 23 June 2011 15:37:03
My comment seems to be imprecise. Due to the forced 24h disconnect from my ISP I have a cron job that does this automatically at 5am with "ifdown wan && sleep 5 && ifup wan" That avoids a forced reconnect in the middle of the day. The description for the problem and the solution is here: http://www.sixxs.net/wiki/Aiccu/Installing_on_OpenWRT#Backfire_10.03 Matthias
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 23 June 2011 17:09:19
It is fine that you restart your local interfaces, but do not restart AICCU automatically, it does not need to be restarted.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 23 June 2011 18:43:16
Why is a daily restart of aiccu a problem ? I would replace my cron job but I have no idea with what. killing the PPPD is possible but the daemon isn't restarted automatically, ifdown ppoe-wan doesn't work.... I could remove the aiccu hotplug script instead. That would be the easiest solution but I don't like it.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 23 June 2011 21:36:44
Why is a daily restart of aiccu a problem ?
Because it is not needed. The tunneling protocols handle IP address changes already, that is what they are made for.
I would replace my cron job but I have no idea with what.
Why do you have the cron job in the first place?
I could remove the aiccu hotplug script instead. That would be the easiest solution but I don't like it.
Why don't you like it?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 24 June 2011 10:17:46
Why do you have the cron job in the first place?
As I already wrote above, I have a forced 24h disconnect from my provider and with this script this 24h disconnect is always in the middle of the night and not during the day.
Why don't you like it?
Because ifdown wan should stop all wan interfaces and that breaks it and there is a reason why the aiccu package includes the script. ok, it doesn't matter much and I commented out the ifdown and ifup lines in the script.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 24 June 2011 13:08:55
The original AICCU package, the one that SixXS distributes, contains only an init script for starting it at startup and stopping the daemon when the host gets shutdown. There is no script that automatically restarts it, if there is one then some 'distributor' added it and it should be removed as they clearly do not understand what AICCU does and how it works.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 24 June 2011 22:42:27
aiccu for openwrt lives here : https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/packages/ipv6/aiccu I still don't understand the problem. aiccu and also pppd can automatically restart their connection after a lost connection but "ifdown wan" is a manual command that should shutdown all wan connections and wan includes of course all external tunnels. You don't have to stop aiccu but it shouldn't matter if you do it. I can understand why they added the script but I have disabled the hotplug script for aiccu anyway.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 26 June 2011 13:53:01
Did you change the wiki page and added the comment that the hotplug script should not be used ? It's needed to start the service on boot ! The original script is here: https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/packages/ipv6/aiccu/files/aiccu.hotplug and it seems to work with backfire 10.3.1 rc4+ if I change the "restart" with a "start" [ "$ACTION" = "ifup" -a "$INTERFACE" = "wan" ] && /etc/init.d/aiccu enabled && /etc/init.d/aiccu start

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker