SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

TDC (denmark) and IPv6
[dk] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 21 June 2011 20:04:23
I just wanted to share my experience with you, in case you should happen to have bought a Homebox subscription with the danish ISP TDC. In their greed (yeah, I call it greed..), they came up with this superb idea: Why not make the customers pay for IPv6 access, and to be sure it works, block all other free IPv6 access. If you have a Homebox, and are a private customer, then the only tunnel setup that is working is UDP (AYIYA), because they are blocking protocol 41 in the homebox routers by defaut. I have spent hours with TDC support to get a solution, and the only one is this: The only way to get them to route p.41 through, is to register as a company, but then (in denmark) you need to be registered with a CVR nummer, and that's a whole new story.. At the same time, they are advertising native IPv6 to their customers, but only to companies, not to private. And you have to pay for it. This is the first ISP aiming to get profit from IPv6, but I'm sure it is'nt the last one.
TDC (denmark) and IPv6
[dk] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 21 June 2011 20:07:46
Sorry, the last line should have been: This is the first ISP that I know, who is aiming to get profit from IPv6, but I'm sure it is'nt the last one.
TDC (denmark) and IPv6
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 21 June 2011 22:18:10
TDC is not the only ISP that 'blocks' proto-41, and as you mention 'homebox', the other ISP I know of, namely Orange, has a box called the livebox which does the exact same thing. The 'reason' (mind the quotes) for the 'block' is that the thing actually terminates SIP requests locally which is the way they provide you with VoIP. I guess the implementation thus routes any unknown packets locally and thus the proto-41 seems 'blocked'. I guess that if you go the 'register as a company' route that you actually don't get a Homebox but a different piece of equipment which does not have this property and then protocol 41 will work just fine. I am pretty sure though that they are not doing 'blocking protocol 41' to gain a profit, that would just be silly. If they wanted to do that they would block any protocol related to IPv6. Did you try Teredo, as that is UDP based, I would not be surprised that it just works too...

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker