SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Newbie Q: how is my DNS working?
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 09 June 2011 14:31:58
I just got my first IPv6 tunnel working. My end of the tunnel is on my FreeBSD firewall sat on a domestic cable internet connection. I can ping6 ipv6.google.com successfully I don't understand how the ping6 application is getting the ipv6 address from that host name. I didn't configure any DNS. My /etc/resolv.conf has just got the same old dns server ipv4 addresses as before. How is it working?
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 09 June 2011 14:52:21
okay I think I figured it out. by doing some TCP dumping I see IPv4 packets going to my normal ISP provided DNS servers. Although my ISP doesn't support IPv6 the DNS replies appear to have IPv6 addresses in the payload.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 09 June 2011 16:02:58
Install wireshark and take a peek then, it is probably one of the better network learning tools as it so nicely decodes it. (tcpdump can decode too, but it is still a CLI, useful for other cases than learning). As you are playing with DNS, and on a unix-alike host (well, you have /etc/resolv.conf) you will want to look at the 'dig' command, by doing eg: dig +trace www.sixxs.net you will see the queries that will be made for trying to resolve www.sixxs.net dig +trace www.sixxs.net AAAA will show where it gets the AAAA record from etc. For just getting those records: dig +short www.sixxs.net AAAA google(dig DNS) for more details of course ;)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker