SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Static tunnel "Confirm proto-41 blocked" - or wrong question?
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 05 May 2011 11:17:09
Hi I have a Ubuntu box with a static public IPv4 address so I asked for and got a static tunnel for this IP. I installed aiccu with password and it seems to connect fine everytime I restart aiccu, no errors so far, even in verbose mode. I can thereafter do a sucessful 'aiccu test', no losses reported. I added the ip to a name in my DNS-Server and Httpd answers nicely when asked for a name that is IPv6-only, also ssh-ing to the box via IPv6 works, no hick-ups realized. Nonetheless I get most often 100% loss in the statistics at sixxs.net, and I'd prefer not to loose any points :-) Any hints?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 05 May 2011 12:06:11
I installed aiccu with password and it seems to connect fine everytime I restart
aiccu, no errors so far, even in verbose mode.
AICCU (or actually the 'ip' commands it calls) will only explain you setup/configurations errors when it executes those commands. Note that with a static tunnel you don't need AICCU, you can just use the configuration in /etc/network/interfaces (see 'man 5 interfaces' for details).
I can thereafter do a sucessful 'aiccu test', no losses
If 'aiccu test' states that it works, then, well, it works.
Nonetheless I get most often 100% loss in the statistics at sixxs.net,
and I'd prefer not to loose any points :-) Any hints?
Read the FAQ about 'why my endpoint does not ping' and go from there. As for your subject line "Confirm proto-41 blocked" that must be quite nonsense, as you claim that the tunnel works. The question of course is if that the tunnel works over the right IPv6 addresses, though as you claim to have added and used it for HTTP+SSH access, I guess that is the case.
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 05 May 2011 14:00:31
Thanks for the quick answer - and sorry for the nonsense question maybe. It's shortly when aiccu gets restarted, some pings pass, after some time it's stuck at 100% loss once more at least that what I saw now 3 times in row. But yet will try but first I wanted to get up as easily as possible. So following the FAQ: 1. - No ICMPv6 passes when aiccu got restartet - Yes ICMPv6 doesn't pass when sixxs.net also says no ping passed, ping6 from another host then also fails ?! 2. I don't see anything that would do such, I only see direct reply using tcpdump 3. "Your IPv4 path to the PoP is broken for proto-41." - as you said, it's very unlikely 4. Err, no, update to Kernel 2.4.21+ that's even before I started even using Linux :-/ 5. I don't know of such a policy yet at my ISP preventing inbound packets, ICMPv4 is even completely open in such terms. But maybe that is starting point? (on the host I have explicitely disabled any iptables filter to get just what my ISP has opened publicly. About following FAQ:"My tunnel goes down after some idletime. My tunnelendpoint also is a NAT/Connection Tracker" -> No there is no NAT in place. (Damn, 7 days is a short time for static tunnel to be up.) ;-)
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 05 May 2011 15:18:24
5. I don't know of such a policy yet at my ISP preventing inbound packets,
ICMPv4 is even completely open in such terms. But maybe that is starting point?
ICMPv4 is not being tested let alone directly involved (unless it is for unreachables or Path MTU or so)
About following FAQ:"My tunnel goes down after some idletime.
My tunnelendpoint also is a NAT/Connection Tracker" -> No there is no NAT in place.
Maybe no NAT, but most very likely a Connection Tracker as that is default on almost every platform.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker