SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Private server behind IPv4 NAT, but with SixXS IPv6 tunnel
[pl] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 25 April 2011 21:31:04
After succesfull setup of IPv6 connectivity, I would like to take advantage of it's features, but need some simple HOW-TO guidance from experienced users. Here is my desired configuration: My_domain hosted by godaddy.com registrar. MyIPv6_address obtained from SixXS with AYIYA tunnel. Low-end linux box with AYIYA tunnel and 3 NICs as Server/Router. NIC1 connected to IPv4 ISP and SixXS POP. NIC2 connected to IPv4 SIP ATA and phones. NIC3 connected to IPv4 LAN with PCs. Services: 1. web proxy server for PCs 2. print server 3. mail server 4. ASTERISK server (or similar like SIP Express Router) 5. small web server Challenges: A) Redirecting outside IPv4 website visitors via "godaddy DNS" to my Apache server - will simple AAAA record pointing to my IPv6_address (port 80) be sufficient or should I also specify somehow IPv4>IPv6 gateway ? B) SIP redirect with following pattern: SIP:my_email_prefix@My_domain:5060 transfered to SIP:my_sip_account@VOiP_provider1:5060 I would configure input channel on ASTERIX with IPv6 connection to collect SIP traffic from my_domain and forward it to IPv4 VOiP_provider1. This will use AAAA-type service forwarding of port 5060 placed in "godaddy DNS" to myIPv6_address (port 5060). With IPv6 address I would like to workaround lack of static public IPv4 address that is not provided by my ISP. Am I going right direction with the above described configuration ? Warmly welcome any other suggestions that will contribute to solving this case. Kind Regards, Slawomir
[pl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 23 June 2011 21:18:35
Didn't thought that it will be so bad..... No response in 2 months. Looks to me like IPv6 network is an isolated island with no bridges with IPv4 internet, so "typical" internet user has no chance to use services deployed in IPv6 network. Am I getting this right ? If this is the case, then there is probably no point to go IPv6, if someone is thinking about world-wide availability.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 23 June 2011 21:35:31
Nah, your message just dropped out of view, that is it.
A) Redirecting outside IPv4 website visitors via "godaddy DNS" to my Apache server
- will simple AAAA record pointing to my IPv6_address (port 80) be sufficient or should I also specify
somehow IPv4>IPv6 gateway ?
IPv4 hosts can only talk to IPv4 servers, IPv6 servers can only talk to IPv6 servers. If you thus want IPv4 clients to talk to an IPv6 server you need to put a proxy in the middle which translates from IPv4 to IPv6.
B) SIP redirect with following pattern:
SIP:my_email_prefix@My_domain:5060 transfered to SIP:my_sip_account@VOiP_provider1:5060
I would configure input channel on ASTERIX with IPv6 connection to collect SIP traffic from my_domain
and forward it to IPv4 VOiP_provider1. This will use AAAA-type service forwarding of port 5060 placed
in "godaddy DNS" to myIPv6_address (port 5060).
I don't know what you mean with this "GoDaddy DNS" "forwarding", but if it is what I think it is, just putting an AAAA record somewhere will not make it automatically go to IPv4. In the SIP case you would set up a SIP server that has both IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity and then it needs to actually proxy all the traffic, including the RTP if you want audio/video between IPv4 clouds and IPv6....
If this is the case, then there is probably no point to go IPv6, if someone is thinking about world-wide availability.
That is in a way correct. Currently it does not make sense to offer an IPv6-only service if your clients are on IPv4. (And the moment you add proxies in the middle you are effectively offering an IPv4 capable service). If your content is interesting enough though, either because it is free on IPv6 or not available on IPv4, then people might just set up IPv6 solely for getting to that content though.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker