SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Planning for the future: IPv6 @Home and on my Server
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Sunday, 24 April 2011 11:43:45
Hi, all! Today I requested my first subnet, that I want to use for my PCs at home. Now, I have a vServer, too, and I'd like to have it with IPv6 too (right now, my vServer-Provider does not offer IPv6). Of course, since I have OpenVPN running between my home-PC and my vServer, I can share my subnet between the vServer and home, but I'm not sure, that this is the right solution... Maybe should I split my subnet and have some addresses at home and some others on my vServer? How? I'd like to know your opinion and to know if I have to request another tunnel and another subnet for my vServer. After that, I have another question: sooner or later the world will change to IPv6 and many Providers will offer native IPv6-connection. If I have one (or more) subnet by SixXS, can I use them when my DSL-Provider and my vServer-Provider will activate IPv6-connection? How? Thanks a lot for your suggestion! Regards Luca Bertoncello
[dk] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 24 April 2011 21:33:46
If you have enough administration rights on your vServer (vServer can mean a lot of things, from a "room" at a webhotel to a virtual server running under ex vmware), install a separate tunnel and subnet for your vServer and @home. When you can get native ipv6, you don't need sixxs, but get a subnet from your isp and vserver-provider. Leif
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Sunday, 24 April 2011 21:38:15
Of course, I can request a new tunnel and subnet. On this vServer I have root rights (Virtuozzo) and I can install the tunnel. I just would like to know, if I could use the same subnet for home and vServer. If not, and I can have two subnets (and tunnels), there is no problem! Right now, I'll experiment at home. I need some weeks to get enough credits to request a new tunnel and subnet. Then I'll install all on the vServer. Thanks Luca Bertoncello
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 24 April 2011 23:45:41
I just would like to know, if I could use the same subnet for home and vServer.
No. A tunnel is point to point. You might be able to do something with a VPN but it would be much simpler just to get another tunnel.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker