SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

multiple ipv6 addresses for one host?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 18 July 2003 17:28:55
Hi I'm a little newbie with IPv6, although up till now everything works fine with my ipv6 enabled server :)) now there is a little problem, we use ipv6 to connect to the IRCnet (uni-erlangen) with irssis running in screens on the server. uni-erlangen only allows one connection per host/address. Would it be a solution to request a subnet and assign more than one address to the server (how?) or is this stupid? regards, Johannes J
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 18 July 2003 22:09:18
I don't see any technical reason why you couldn't do that. Theoretically, if you bound several IPv6 addresses to an interface and informed each user to configure their IRC client to 'bind' to a specific IPv6 address that was unique to them, this would indeed solve your problem. I don't believe that this violates the SixXS AUP but you will need to ensure that the relevant reverse mappings (ip6.arpa/ip6.int) are not configured in such a way that they might be considered as 'dnsspam' (which is forbidden by the IPng PoP). I have never used irssis (I'm a BitchX man myself :P) so you might have to RTFM in order to find out how to get it to bind to a specific IPv6 address.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 29 July 2003 18:14:12
Thank you for your informative answer :)
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 30 July 2003 17:40:31
Using IPv6 for having a nice host on IRC is a stupid excuse. If you want a nice host request your ircd maintainer to implement the cloacking system. Also all the other POPs have the same rules as the IPng POP.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 07 September 2003 08:28:09
He doesn't say that he wants nice hostnames, he just says that he wants to be able to connect multiple clients from one machine to one server, which cannot be done over one IP. Binding an irssi client to a specific host is easy: /set hostname <the hostname for the IP, i.e. local-01.mydomain.com>
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 07 September 2003 22:51:41
They didn't invent I lines for nothing. Each I line can have a maximum number of clients for that IP. If you need to have more clients from your host then contact the administrators of that network and request that. Don't try and bypass policy. Fortunatly IPv6 access goes per subnet and then only N hosts are allowed for that so this is a non-issue and thus so is having multiple IP's from the same upstream on the same host. The only reason you might want to have multiple IP's on one box is service seperation, or having multiple services of the same kind on one box (eg multiple SSL HTTP's).

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker