SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

What causes AYIYA tunnels to stop working?
[us] Carmen Sandiego on Saturday, 05 August 2006 18:50:10
Sometimes for no apparent reason, an AYIYA tunnel behind a NAT stops transmitting packets including heartbeats. AICCU continues to run without complaints. IPv4 pathping to the tunnel endpoint at the PoP reveals nothing -- all hops are available with modest ping times. Stopping and restarting AICCU usually rebuilds the tunnel, but there is often a delay of 5-10 minutes before packets begin to flow through the tunnel. Three questions ... 1. What causes AYIYA tunnels to stop working? 2. What can be done to improve AYIYA tunnel reliability? 3. Why is there a delay between tunnel connection and packet flow through the tunnel?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 06 August 2006 08:03:23
I had a problem with my heartbeat tunnel which caused it to stop working even though aiccu would still run and setup the interface. Eventually checked the log and noticed that it was complaining about my computer's time being off. Seems minor, but it wasn't something I was checking. Could that be an issue for you?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 06 August 2006 08:10:55
Time being off is not minor. If your time is off more than 120 seconds the packets won't be accepted on the PoP, which will simply discard them. AICCU, or actually the TIC server, checks at the moment AICCU fetches the configuration if the clock on the client is in margins, if it is it allows the configuration to be fetched, otherwise it notifies the user and doesn't even continue. I have been thinking of adding two parts to AICCU to solve these issues though: - Automatic connectivity check, which checks if connectivity really works and notifies the user if it doesn't and the most likely reason why it doesn't. - Re-fetch of the configuration now and then, which would then also check the time setting again just in case. Depending on available time these should be added sooner or later (most likely the latter though... ;) )
[us] Carmen Sandiego on Sunday, 06 August 2006 23:48:56
I had read about the issue of time synchronization in the FAQ. I've repeatedly checked for a lack of time synchronization, but haven't found any problems. All of my systems are configured in a Windows Domain, and the top domain controller provides time service to all members, and in turn consults the U.S. National Bureau of Standards time service. Thanks for the tip.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker