SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Do I need a subnet?
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 28 March 2011 11:46:14
Hi, Fairly new to SixXS, I read the wiki, read a bit about IPv6, but I'm not sure I understand everything correct. My current setup at home is: ADSL connection with Linksys WAG120 modem/router. On this router: homeserver (Fedora), laptop from work (XP), home pc (Windows 7), Mac Mini and some other pc's. From the homeserver, laptop and home pc I've successfully made IPv6 connections through my tunnel. Now I want to connect multiple computers at the same time. Do I need to make one computer the router and the others host? Do I need a subnet for that? I don't like to have one computer running all the time just to make a tunnel. Can I use my tunnel on different pc's alternating? If so, is there a wait time in between? If I need to have a router running, does anybody know if the packages for a pogoplug are reliable? I would go for such a solution to save energy. thanks
Do I need a subnet?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 28 March 2011 12:27:15
From the homeserver, laptop and home pc I've successfully made IPv6 connections through my tunnel.
Did you then terminated the tunnel on these different hosts, one at a time? Or how did those hosts make those connections?
Do I need to make one computer the router and the others host?
Do I need a subnet for that?
Yes. A tunnel only provides 1 IPv6 address to the host where the tunnel runs. A subnet would provide connectivity to all the hosts behind the tunnel.
Can I use my tunnel on different pc's alternating? If so, is there a wait time in between?
You should not. Overlapping tunnels even briefly will cause strange results.
If I need to have a router running, does anybody know if the packages for a
pogoplug are reliable? I would go for such a solution to save energy.
Pogoplug can run Debian thus then it works.
Do I need a subnet?
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 28 March 2011 14:22:11
Did you then terminated the tunnel on these different hosts, one at a time? Or how did those hosts make those connections?
Hm, I just used the DOS and Windows versions of AICCU and started and stopped them or shut down the computer. OK, so I need a subnet that I need to distribute on a pc (or plug) running as router. Thanks for the help!
Do I need a subnet?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 31 March 2011 03:32:36
So the homeserver is running all or most of the time? On my ubuntu server at startup I paste this script as root, 2001:4978:1db::/48 being my subnet: /etc/init.d/aiccu start ip -6 address add 2001:4978:1db::1/64 dev eth0 echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding ip -6 address add 2001:4978:1db:1::1/64 dev usb0 /etc/init.d/radvd start Then all the wired and wireless windows machine autoconfigure through the ip4 router and get ipv6 access. The ubuntu server gets an AAAA record on my nameserver, nslookup ipv6.dakx.com. The usb0 subnet is for a 6lowpan network which is also accessible through lan or wan, nslookup edgar.dakx.com

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker