SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Is a /48 subnet really enough?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 24 March 2011 23:41:02
Hi, first of all I like your service very much. My tunnel is running fine, and just now I requested my first subnet. During registration I saw that SixXS only provides /48 subnets to its members - at this point I couldn't trust my eyes. /48 subnets are just way too small for consumers like me! Here's why: Our planet has a surface of about 510 mio. km^2, the IPv6 address space contains 3.4*10^38 addresses. This leads to about 6.6*10^23 addresses per square meter. SixXS provides /48 subnets, thus I have no more than 2^80 = 12.1*10^23 addresses available. Now consider that I live in a 40 m^2 apartment - which is not very huge btw. Thus my natural demand of addresses is 40 * 6.6*10^23 = 266.9*10^23 addresses - which is about 24 times the addresses provided by SixXS... I would suggest that you either * provide /43 subnets (which would be ok for my kind of flat - but wait until I build my own house!), * ease up bulk registration of /48 subnets by providing a wizard that calculates the needed amount of IPv6 addresses (depending on one's apartment size), or * convert my 40 m^2 (ceiling height 2.5 m) apartment into a 1.8 m^2 flat with a ceiling height of 55 m. If you go for option 3, please consider that my furniture will most likely not fit well into the new apartment, so you would have to buy me some new. IKEA stuff would be OK for me though. Best regards Thomas
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 25 March 2011 00:12:19
The RIPE NCC answer to such a statement is to ask the person for all the receipts for ordered hardware which demonstrate that you can actually hook it up.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 26 March 2011 02:26:01
You do not own that much of the earth's surface! There are tenants on other floors, your landlord needs some addresses for monitoring purposes, then there is air traffic control, weather stations, seismic monitoring, not to mention corporate and government monitoring (oops, just did). Be happy with you 5% piece of the pie. It could be less.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 21 April 2011 18:55:00
Yes, that is all well and good, But.... I want each of my devices to have it's own subnet and each device should have an address on each of my other device's subnet. Well would you look at that, my router just became redundant :)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker