SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Multihomed subnet
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 24 June 2003 04:35:56
Is it possible to have a multihomed subnet? On the moment I use a tunnel to scarlet (cybercomm). I was thinking to add another tunnel to a other PoP in the Netherlands that will go over the transit lines of my isp but, could it be possible to route the subnet over the 2 tunnels? The IPv6 ip's of the subnet are used for servers that are connected to our ipv6 gateway/router (running freebsd), the only machine that is running a tunnel is the freebsd box. Now we want to use ipv6 for our web/ssh/ftp/etc...servers and like to have a very stable and failsafe solution, that's why i was thinking about this multihomed thing. Greetings,
Multihomed subnet
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 24 June 2003 12:38:15
Each POP is currently a different ISP. And they don't route traffic to eachother. If you require 100% pure perfect multihomed production IPv6: ask the relevant ISP and pay for it. They will be happy to provide the service to you. Mind you that every POP *DROPS* (or if you are lucky rejects) traffic that should not be originating from it. Also note that "Multihoming" depends on your view of multihoming. If you are using 2 tunnels over 1 physical line imho you are still not multihomed. IMHO Multihoming is 1+ prefixes over 2+ physical lines. IPv6 Multihoming is still being worked on by several groups. See the links section.
Multihomed subnet
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 25 June 2003 05:22:47
Thanks for the reply ;) I know something like i asked wouldnt be free, but i got another solution now: I talked with my ISP and we will implement ipv6 into the backbone, on the moment they use Foundry Netiron's (they have no ipv6 support yet :() but we will do a IOS update on one of the old cisco 72xx routers and put it in the backbone ;) There will be peering's on the AMS-IX with ipv6 in future to :) On the moment my line has got a 100% uptime (and my tunnel to :D) but if the line fails i just switch on the backup line ;)
Multihomed subnet
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 15 January 2008 17:19:24
I have another question about multihoming. Currently, I have two internet connections and I would like to know if it is possible to have a multihomed IPv6 network. My idea is to have two SixXS tunnels to the same PoP and then define routes on each side to let traffic go the less congestioned tunnel. Technically, it requires at least that the PoP knows the two routes to one subnet. As I never did such manipulations, I don't know everything I have to know and so every piece of advice is welkom. *D
Multihomed subnet
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 16 January 2008 09:47:12
The PoP software doesn't understand that setup, that is there is no BGP support or something similar. There are plans for that, but plans take time to implement. The best you can do at the moment is using an AYIYA tunnel with 1 subnet. Then having the source of the AYIYA packets be based on the link you want to use, thus if you want to use A -> PoP, you source packets from link A, which will cause the packets from the PoP to go to A. If you then want to use link B, force the packets to come from B and the PoP will send packets to B. Of course, don't run multiple AYIYA tunnels or swap too often, as the PoP will only set your tunnel to disabled as it will guess it is a misconfiguration.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker