SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

New Account with a tunnel doesn't include a subnet?!
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 15 February 2006 16:45:34
Hi, yesterday I've created a tunnel which seems to work quiet fine! Im happy with it ;-) But I always though, when you create a tunnel you get a bunch of IPv6 addresses (prefix 64) from which you can connect the IPV6 world. I have a new account with a working tunnel and thought that I can asign some IPv6 address to my other clients in the local network and go through the gateway to some IPv6 websites e.g. Does a tunnel only mean, that you have one IPv6 address from which you can connect? So only one host has the possibility to connect to other IPv6 hosts? I always thought that I get a bunch of IPv6 address for x hosts. If this is right I have to wait a week to get a subnet and then I can connect the other hosts from my local network to the IPv6 network. Is this really right? Best regards, Stefan
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 15 February 2006 16:56:31
You indeed have to wait a week before you can hook up other endpoints. The tunnel is only a tunnel, thus has 2 IP's, remote and local. No more, no less (okay the anycast one ;) and as it is a link, it consists out of a /64. This is based on the assumption that a tunnel could be converted to a native ethernet/dsl/etc link and then the link would be multi-access.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 15 February 2006 17:12:30
Thank you so much for the answer ;-) The last night was a nightmare ;-) I configured and configured a FreeBSD box as a gateway for the rest of my LAN and I thought I can't configure a simple IPv6 gateway ;-) But now anything seems to be OK! I will wait a week and then try to get a subnet and the rest of my LAN working! Best regards, Stefan
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 23 March 2006 16:27:40
Hi, I read in the FAQ that I can only create a subnet when I got another 5 credits. I can get these with a Week Uptime. Does this mean one week 24/7 up or just to be registed more than one week?
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 12 April 2006 17:37:10
Up means working not just configured.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker