SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Windows 7 loses IPv6 connectivity
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 19 December 2010 22:09:40
Hello, I have a little problem with my Windows 7 PC. Everytime after a DSL disconnect, when my router has reestablished the IPv4 DSL link and also the IPv6 tunnel IPv6 on my PC is dead. I have traced that behavior on PC's the network link. The result is the following... When the DSL disconnect occurs my router (FritzBox) informs the LAN via ff02::1 that the prefix (valid lifetime 0) is no longer available. Two and a half seconds later, the DSL connection and the tunnel are up again, my router informs the LAN via ff02::1 about the new (in fact the same prefix as before) prefix (valid lifetime 7200). My Linux PC does not have any problems with the routers behavior. The problem is with receiving the first prefix information my Windows 7 marks all the IPv6 addresses as deprecated. But that state remains for all IPv6 addresses even after the PC received the second prefix information with the valid new prefix. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can solve this problem? My work around at this time is to deactivate and then re-activate my LAN interface in the Windows 7 network browser. After doing that the PC sets the IPv6 addresses to "preferred" and everything is working until the next DSL disconnect in a fex hours. Thanks, Lars
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 03 January 2011 13:13:16
same here (Win7 Ultimate x64, FB 7270) I initially suspected the FB to have a problem, but your findings seem to prove that wrong. I've set automatic reconnect (to prevent the DSL provider from cutting the line after 24h) to cut and reestablish the link at nighttime when no clients are running. This prevents the link from going down during the day, avoiding the problem with IPv6. No permanent solution though.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 30 January 2011 19:06:58
I also do not have a permanent solution as of now. My work around was to set an manual IPv6 address on the Windows 7 PC. This "solved" the problem which further indicates to me that the source of this misbehavior must be the IPv6 stateless autoconfiguration in MS Windows. As I have writen above none of my linux PCs running in stateless autoconf ever showed this problem, only Windows PCs seem to be unable to "revive" an IPv6 address generated stateless after prefix updates.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 09 January 2011 17:36:25
I've exactly the same problem. How can this be addressed at MS (I think it's a Windows Bug)?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 17 January 2011 19:04:42
At least I've opened a Ticket at AVM now, maybe they'll be able to find something. I've read about another router with a similar problem, they had some problem in their DHCPv6 implementation. I'll post a update if there are any news.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 30 January 2011 19:02:46
I've also tried opening a ticket with AVM. And received a negative answer some days later. The misbehavior is at the windows side of the problem. ;-) Opening a ticket with Microsoft is not an option for me because my Windows license is "system builder" and because of that I am not entitled to receive free support with Microsoft.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 03 February 2011 19:24:58
Well, my Ticket is still under investigation at the product management of AVM. Maybe they'll be able to contact MS. I also tried another angle to get MS concerned about this, but I think we'll still have to see how this plays out. There is definitely no quick solution in sight.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 04 February 2011 08:41:34
I've put a request into the "Microsoft Technet Windows 7 Networking Forum" a few days ago. But there is no answer as of today. There is a similar request open regarding permanently deprecated IPv6 addresses after resuming from sleep since 22 April 2010. Therefor I am not holding my breath regarding an answer.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 08 February 2011 19:09:43
According to AVM they've found the problem, and it will be fixed with the next firmware release. There's no fix release date yet - maybe around CeBIT (early March).
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 03 March 2011 11:19:22
There is some hope: The new lab version of the firmware for Fritz!box 7270 contains:
Internet: IPv6 - Workaround: Windows 7 akzeptiert bis zum Reboot nicht mehr den gleichen Prefix, wenn dieser einmalig invalidiert wurde.
("Until reboot Windows 7 does not accept the same prefix after it has been invalidated once.") As I have a 7390 I was not able to test the fix.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 05 March 2011 12:14:53
That's funny. Seems like they implemented the same workaround I had in mind (incrementing the subnet after each reconnect), but I didn't mention it to AVM directly. The thing is: This would cause new problems, if someone needs to connect to a IPv6-Host from the outside. One would need something like a IPv6-DynDNS until MS got this fixed. But as far as I'm informed, the bug should also have been addressed at MS (so we can expect a IPv6 update for Windows).
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 12 March 2011 10:25:50
There is a 7390 lab firmware now (84.05.01-19469). I was able to test it, and everything seems to work now. And to be clear: They are not messing with the subnet, so they're using a different workaround. Will try to analyze it later.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 22 March 2011 03:27:08
I can file the bug for you if you send me info (log files, etc.). Bernard Aboba Microsoft Email: bernard.aboba@microsoft.com XMPP: aboba@jabber.org Skype: baboba9132
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 23 March 2011 09:39:00
That would be great. I've posted a description of the issue in the Windows 7 Networking Forum.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 23 March 2011 20:00:44
As far as I know someone, somewhere, at MS should already working on this. But unfortunately this is all I know, and there is no public bug tracking or something like this. Maybe you can check if this is true? Should have something to do with IPv6 Router Advertisements. The short version of the problem is: IPv6 prefixes don't get reenabled after they got deprecated through a RA. Windows seems to set the "Preferred Lifetime" but not the "Preferred-Flag".
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 17 October 2011 17:41:03
I had not time to test it yet, but this looks like a fix from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2569391/

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker