SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Dynamic (heartbeat) + credits?
[se] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 25 November 2005 23:25:28
If i have a dynamic ip (heartbeat), Do i get that 5 points for every week the tunnel is up? Or.. how does that work?
[nl] Carmen Sandiego on Saturday, 26 November 2005 13:59:45
For each two weeks your heartbeat tunnel is up, you get 5 credits. See http://www.sixxs.net/faq/account/?faq=credits:
As dynamic tunnels won't be up all the time it will only receive a 5 credit bonus after it has been created for one week. This will thus allow one to request a subnet after a week of operating the heartbeat tunnel. After that uptime credits will be given biweekly when the tunnel is alive. Note that one can't lose any credits with a dynamic tunnel but the tunnel must be up if you want to receive those credits.
[at] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 21 December 2005 22:59:42
Two weeks with or without interruption?
[nl] Carmen Sandiego on Thursday, 22 December 2005 10:05:07
In my experience, without interruption.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 25 December 2005 18:38:33
What do you call an interruption? We have a one in 24 hours kick with getting a new ip-address. But I got credits. Sometimes. Not every time. Strange work.
[nl] Carmen Sandiego on Monday, 26 December 2005 14:29:21
I guess 'interruption' is defined by 'being offline after X minutes pass'.
[no] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 13 January 2006 12:33:39
Hm, my heartbeat tunnel have been up for over a year, with maybe a couple 1houre down time. But i never got any points for this tunnel, not even when it had been up for 2months.. :S
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 31 March 2006 22:52:44
I have to say that I'm also finding this all a bit vague. I've read some places that you should only use a static tunnel if you're up 24/7 and in other places I read that they really only need to ping you once a day. I also thought the idea of having a heartbeat tunnel was that you wouldn't have to be up 24/7 to get credits.
[pl] Carmen Sandiego on Tuesday, 20 June 2006 13:54:27
I have my tunnel up for about 12 hours a day. I got my 5 credits after the first week, but have received nothing eversince, even though my tunnel has been up for more than 14 consecutive days. It seems that a heartbeat tunnel that is not up 24/7 does not receive credits. The only advantage (as compared to a static tunnel) is that the tunnel also does not lose credits in case it is down. Maybe if my tunnel was up all day for 14 days, I would get the 5 credits. Also note that my tunnel's "Last Dead" date is far back in the past (but does not correspond to the actual day when my tunnel was down for 24 hours last). So the fact that a tunnel is not reported to be dead does not mean that it should receive credits. Jeroen pointed out that my tunnel had 100% loss statistics - true, for those 12 hours when it is down, every day. But I wonder why this does not change the "Last Dead" date, while it apparently resets the credit counter. I was suggesting a feature: 'First Day of Creditable Uptime', in addition to 'Last Dead'. Jeroen responded with this explanation:
'First Day of Creditable Uptime' = "Last Dead' + X Where X is 7 days for static tunnels and 14 days for heartbeat tunnels. Note that during these periods the tunnels must ping. This is stated in the FAQ. If it is unclear, how could we write it up that it becomes clear?
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 27 August 2006 02:26:12
Yes, the tunnel must really ping. It is not enough that your ipv6 connection is working. Besides, as reported by other users, in certain cases the aiccu makes you think that it is having a connection, without reaching ipv6 connectivity (aiccu remains in the tray answering heartbeats but cannot configure properly the ipv6 connection). So, the first thing to do is take care that ipv6 connectivity is really working (e.g., visit some sixxs.org webpage, and if you see below that webpage your ipv4 ip address, then ipv6 connectivity is NOT working. If you see below it an ipv6 address (e.g. "SSL IPv6 connection from ..................") then ipv6 connectivity is working. If the sixxs.org webpage takes too long to load, then ipv6 connectivity is not working either. Then, you have to care that your ipv6 endpoint is answering pings with an icmp echo. I advise to enable ping echo (icmp echo) in your router AND in your Windows firewall (or whatever firewall you use). Inside the FAQ, it is explained that if your ipv6 endpoint answers at least one ping during each (and every) day of one week (or two weeks, maybe), that counts as 5 extra credits. E.g., I have a perfect AYIYA connection through a dynamic tunnel with Windows 2003 SP1, default firewall activated, icmp echo enabled for all network connections, through a router that does not support any ipv6 protocol and it does not support proto-41. I disabled router's option of ignoring ping from WAN and I enabled all other options of router's protection against DDOS, Ping of Death and so on. The NAT firewall of the router is activated and router's UPnP is activated. I have neither demillitarized zones nor port forwarding of any sort.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 16 November 2006 06:21:35
I had a similar problem. It turned out that my firewall was dropping the stateful rules for the tunnel after periods of no activity. I finally scheduled a cron on the machine with the tunnel endpoint to ping6 www.kame.net every 5 minutes. This has kept the tunnel alive and earning points for about 6 weeks now. According to the FAQ: --- Every PoP tests your connection by pinging using ICMPv6 packets from the PoP's IPv6 endpoint to your IPv6 tunnel endpoint. One way to easily find out if you have a setup problem is by doing a tcpdump and pinging the PoP's endpoint and checking if you see a response coming back if that's the case leave your tcpdump running and see if you get the 20 ping's which are sent every 15 minutes. Thus you have 24 * 4 * 20 = 1920 pings the chance to be up every day. --- I don't know if dynamic tunnels just have to ping once in a day or every time pings are sent in order to be considered up.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 20 June 2006 15:33:00
That's odd... i get 5 credits every two weeks. The only time it skipped was when i was down for a few days due to a configuration error. Two weeks after 'Last dead' time i started getting credits again.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker