SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Routing to a subnet off the default route
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 16 October 2005 09:36:20
I am experimenting with IPv6, and learning how far it will stretch. I have an "opera" LAN with an aiccu-connected router "phantom" on it, Naturally, "phantom" announces itself as the default router for IPv6. On the same "opera" LAN, I have another router which routes to a wireless domain "hotspot". While "opera" runs on network #0, "hotspot" runs under #666. It is straightforward to route from "hotspot" through "opera" to "phantom" and up to the rest of the world. "hotspot" <--ROUTER--> "opera" <--ROUTER-AICCU--> world What I cannot seem to get working, is to announce "hotspot" on "opera". PC's connected to this LAN are not capable of auto-configuring a route to "hotspot". The problem being that "hotspot" is neither on-link nor on the route towards the default routes. If I announce the "hotspot" network it automatically becomes a default route. I cannot find the bits to toggle on the router advertisements that would allow auto-config routing from "opera" to "hotspot". Am I correctly observing a problem here? Or is it simply a fact of life that all routes shall be structured hierarchically? Are there solutions, preferrably not of the kind "it happens to work on this particular OS"? Thanks, -Rick
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 16 October 2005 11:19:49
Router Advertisements is *NOT* a routing protocol. It adds a default route and that is it. With RA you can say 'this is the /64 on this link' + optional "use me for a default route", nowhere to say "I know where this prefix is", that is where routing protocols come into play, in this sitation I would think of RIP. Best you can do in this setup is either: 1) setup a specific route on every host in operanet (not nice) 2) on the default router (routerA below) set a route to the hotspot network 3) run RIP, which still requires all the hosts to have a RIP client at least. BTW: it is better to 'draw' networks like: [ hotspot ] -- { wireless } -- [ routerW ] -- { operanet } -- [ routerA ] -- { internet } {} = network [] = host (routers are hosts with multiple interfaces)
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 21 October 2005 12:45:24
Router advertisement is indeed not usable to (re)direct routing. What I was missing in Jeroen's reply (thanks!) is *why*, because his suggestions contradicted with the feeling I had about auto-config. I have thus extended the hotspot with routing capabilities, using the 2002::/16 network. Again, just to see how well this would work. I am reporting my experiences in the hope that they will be useful to others. In the new situation, the hosts on the "opera" LAN receive two routable prefixes -- one is the 2001::/16 prefix routed through sixxs, the other is the 2002::/16 prefix routed through "hotspot". The latter is routed according to RFC 3056 (to other 2002::/16 end points) and RFC 3068 (a default router for non-2002::/16 destinations). The result is wild and highly unadvisable. The hosts on the "opera" LAN receive two prefixes, and choose the path to traverse at random. If I want to access a 2002:IP4ADDR:: host, it may choose to send from the 2001::/16 prefix, and vice versa. The auto-configured hosts do not take the prefixes into account when routing, because they do not see them as /16 prefixes; auto-configuration uses /64 prefixes. As a result, trafic circulates from opera through hotspot, through the 192.88.99.1 default routers for the 2002::/16 domain, to the sixxs network, back to the local destionation host. What a waste of resources! My conclusion is that multiple prefixes should always come from routers which are fully aware of all the locally available prefixes, and that no routing decisions should be left to auto-configured hosts. Which is exactly what Jeroen stated; but it is now clear to me why.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker