SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

This forum
[fi] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 28 April 2003 01:21:46
It's nice to have even some kind of a forum. But... Here it's very hard to see what threads have new posts since last visit. This discourages thread reuse and with the lack of any search functions new threads will pile up and the same old questions are likely to be asked again. (my new question in the "Credits Question" thread probably hasn't been noticed) Even though, I do think this is much better than a mailing list.
This forum
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 28 April 2003 13:35:13
Good comment, - Search option can, and will be implemented (-> todo list :) - "New" posts, I am not quite sure how to implement such a thing efficiently at the moment, then again my mind is quite drugged by 3740 at the moment. Would people reading this like: - Per message "have read" flags? I've just set the forum to sort the list with newest on reply. Which can be annoying when somebody replies while you are reading through things ;) Suggestions are always welcome. Questions which become Frequent will ofcourse be added to the FAQ :)
This forum
[fi] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 30 April 2003 14:18:16
Thanks for your replies. The temporary solution works well. I'm used to use phpBB forums so this forum feels a bit rough :-)
This forum
[si] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 05 May 2003 18:38:45
I've just set the forum to sort the list with newest on reply.
well the forums are not sorted by the "last reply date/time" ? it should be set, that the threads with most current replies are shown first.
This forum
[fi] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 06 May 2003 00:42:38
It seems sorting was changed only for this (sub)forum. (edit: no, it doesn't work here anymore :{ ) I did mean it for the whole BBS system, which is referenced as "Forum" on the links. It would be even better to let users decide the sorting order. I wonder why you didn't use a ready-made BBS system, but wrote your own. Edit 2: The "Back to topic list" button works quite funny after I've posted this nested message.
This forum
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 06 May 2003 02:32:38
The sorting only currently sorts on last created subject, not on last reply; already on todo, this was just a quickfix. The reason for not using a 'ready-made BBS system' is quite easy: loads and loads of sploits, we don't trust that code. Yes that means that this will have some quirks but we do have are own guarantee that no odd things can be done with the system. Also the complete forum is nicely tightly integrated into the rest of the system which would require a big rewrite everytime they update/fix their code, even though diff is your friend ofcourse. "Back to topic list" should refer to one thread higher up; into todo.
This forum
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 08 May 2003 15:17:40
[X] "Back to topic list" should refer to one thread higher up; into todo. [X] Thread Sorting on last reply in the thread [X] Search Function Note that the search function is quite simple and doesn't do any cool things like AND or OR. But it does work. Queries in the style of: +ipv6 +tunnel ipv6 -blaat "windows 2000" +tunnel Will follow.
This forum
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 29 April 2003 09:51:57
"read" items... Maybe an easy and handy way is to store (per user, in cookie ?? or db) when they last accessed the forum. On a new visit to the forum's main page show a link "New items since last visit", based on the timestamp of the forum-posts and the stored timestamp for the users last visit. People could use that 'new items' page as a jumpboard to all new forum posts. (this only works the first time they click the link, because then their last-visit counter is reset to 'now')
This forum
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 29 April 2003 15:31:38
Hmm that's indeed probably the best way to do it, cookies is no option and as all the users are already in some sort of db it can be stored there quite well. I'll fix it after the coming festivities (Queens day+night).

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker