SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Sharing my subnet or hosting a tunnel for friends?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 24 August 2010 20:09:38
Dear SixXS staff, dear SixXS community, I have a dedicated server, which hosts the aiccu-client for my tunnel, because I'm living at my mothers home, my fothers home and I have a netbook as a "roadwarrior". This solutions allows to share my subnet for many VPN-connected clients, namely a homeserver at my mothers home, each PC individually at my fathers home and the netbook. OK, to my question: Some friends have neither IPv6 nor a homeserver to share one tunnel to the complete network. They would have to use a seperate tunnel for each PC. So there are two questions: I think I have read, that this is not, but I'm nor sure: Is it allowed to share my quite gigant /48-subnet to some frieds for my own risk? The secound one: Is it allowed to host the ends of some friends tunnels on my server to make it accessible to them over vpn, so they only have to use one tunnel for many PCs? Because of technical reasons, I would use al least 2 IP addresses of the friends pool for myself: The tunnel end address and one address to route the subnet. Thanks a ot for you answers! Greeting from Germany, Christopher Kleen
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 25 August 2010 21:24:51
Your friends could sign up to Sixxs as well and create their own tunnels. Remember to keep your setups as simple as possible (or you'll spend countless hours trying to fix things once something goes wrong). You could also setup tunnels on each individual machine instead of creating a vpn just for IPv6 connectivity. If you have a router or WLAN-AP that can run DD-WRT (or similar firmware) you could use those machines as tunnel endpoints and supply a whole subnet to the local net from there. If you happen to be using a FritzBox 7270 you could install the experimental "Labor-Firmware" which has great IPv6 support with Sixxs. I have been running this for about two months now and it's really great. (*) Any machine (Laptop, Smartphone,...) which has IPv6 enabled (Win Vista and 7 do by default, XP needs a single command to do so) automatically get's full IPv6 connectivity once it connects to the network (just as it does with IPv4) (*) I have a couple friends and customers who still use the older 7170 model (was free with DSL setup and there's no need to upgrade), which apparently will not get IPv6 support. That really sucks! Are you listening AVM? No, probably not...
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 26 August 2010 15:04:23
Hello, Mr. Strobel! And thanks for your answer. The problem ist, that this group of IPv6 wanting users are not fit in using alternative firmware based on linux and don't use the very expensive AVM hardware. The solution to use their own tunnel isn't practicable, because the don't have any possibility to host the tunnel on a central system. So each PC would have to register and use it's own tunnel. Quite a little bit complicated in relation to a central server which hosts only one tunnel to share it over VPN. There is a pic to present the both configurations there: http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/1087/vpnvsowntunnels.jpg The end-users would have to use the uncomfortable aiccu client instead of the running in the beackground openVPN client. Each one has to register with SixXS and has to request it's own tunnel, which not only makes outlay for SixXS, but also for the end users. And the IPv6 addresses are not configured automatically and are not be able to change dynamically. Greeting from Germany, Christopher Kleen
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 26 August 2010 17:36:10
The "legal" issues should be covered here: https://www.sixxs.net/faq/sixxs/?faq=aup Which I read as: You're allowed to share your tunnel/subnet with your friends and family and do whatever is not explicitly indicated as misuse (no spam/dnsspam, ircd,...). As you already stated, you will face "punishment" if one of your users misbehaves. As for the technical part of your configuration: Have you had a look at tinc? Seems rather simple and fitting your problem, haven't played with it yet. http://www.heise.de/netze/artikel/Dezentrales-VPN-mit-Tinc-785436.html http://www.tinc-vpn.org/examples/
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 26 August 2010 20:57:16
Hi again, Mr. Srobel! Hmm, call me a mule and you are right. I just misunderstood the FAQ entry https://www.sixxs.net/faq/account/?faq=sharing in the way, that it is not allowed to share the tunnel which is within the account, but only to the family or organisation. My solution with the VPN based on openVPN is working for quite a long time and does it very fine. But thanks for the suggestion with tinc. The only drop of bitterness was the central server, which has to route all the traffic and this twice. The only decentral VPN solution I found was n2n, which I din't like. I will look it closely. OK, I think, the question is solved. Thank you for opening my eyes to read the terms of usage accurater. Yours, Christopher Kleen

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker