SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Where to go post Sixxs?
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 25 April 2017 10:22:21
Not all of us are in a position to get native IPv6 in the local area, due to dinosaur or monopoly ISPs. For people in that position, what alternatives are recommended? Currently Hurricane Electric and Teredo come to mind, though it would be good to have a list of other solutions as fallback plans.
Where to go post Sixxs?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 25 April 2017 10:28:15
IPv6 is 20 years old. You had quite a bit of time to convince an ISP to start doing IPv6 by complaining and voting with your money. Contacting your Network Operator Groups (NANOG, FrNOG, SwiNOG, NLNOG, DENOG, etc) is a good place to complain, bit late to do that, but you can always try.... Btw: Teredo is long long dead fortunately.
Where to go post Sixxs?
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 25 April 2017 17:08:37
Jeroen Massar wrote:
IPv6 is 20 years old. You had quite a bit of time to convince an ISP to start doing IPv6 by complaining and voting with your money. Contacting your Network Operator Groups (NANOG, FrNOG, SwiNOG, NLNOG, DENOG, etc) is a good place to complain, bit late to do that, but you can always try.... Btw: Teredo is long long dead fortunately.
Believe me I have tried. Welcome to North America, a continent where ISP choice is not always an option and when it is the alternatives aren't much better. But, I hear you.
Where to go post Sixxs?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 25 April 2017 17:13:33
Yes, monopolies are all around the world. Call Your Government to solve that problem (they won't because those monopolies have invested lots of money in that government... they learned from Bell, AT&T and Microsoft...). The better question you should be asking is what you want to achieve. For most people that seems to be "the ability to easily reach my machines at home". The other one "I do not trust my local ISP" and another "I don't ever want to renumber". For many of those cases, a bog-standard VPN (we recommend Wireguard and OpenVPN) can be the best way to go. But if you actually had an ISP that delivered what you wanted, then you would not have to do those tricks ;)
Where to go post Sixxs?
[dk] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 09 May 2017 18:56:08
Jeroen Massar wrote:
The better question you should be asking is what you want to achieve.
I can't speak for others but I have been using IPv6 to route around damage, eg. gmail's malfunctioning SPF checks. AWS EC2 also finally offers IPv6 and I was planning on giving my 10+ instances IPv6 addresses so I can access them directly instead of going via a jump server or paying for additional static IPv4 addresses. But then the Sixxs announcement ticked in... I have been looking for native IPv6 for more than 10 years, but without luck. Where I live I can get fiber (no IPv6 offered), cable (no IPv6 offered) and xDSL. One (1) of the xDSL ISPs offer IPv6 depending on the equipment the incumbent telco has installed. That ISP is also the only ISP that don't have enough IPv4 addresses so you get stuck behind CG-NAT. So I'm looking into how get IPv6 connectivity. So far it looks like a tunnel from he.net, or my own setup with openvpn tunnel to a VPS in a hosting center that has IPv6. I'm not complaining about the closure of Sixxs. I understand the reason. The IPv6 connectivity has allowed me to develop applications with IPv6 support for more than 10 years and and it would have been possible with Sixxs.
Where to go post Sixxs?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 10 May 2017 13:46:42
I can't speak for others but I have been using IPv6 to route around damage, eg. gmail's malfunctioning SPF checks.
SPF checks for gmail work quite fine. Can you be more specific?
Where to go post Sixxs?
[dk] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 16 May 2017 11:23:05
Jeroen Massar wrote:
SPF checks for gmail work quite fine. Can you be more specific?
gmail's SPF checks seem to work fine now, but a few years ago had some weird issues and I had to temporarily force my emails to gmail's servers to use IPv6. The problem disappeared after a few weeks.
Where to go post Sixxs?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 15 May 2017 04:06:12
Andre-John Mas wrote:
Not all of us are in a position to get native IPv6 in the local area, due to dinosaur or monopoly ISPs. For people in that position, what alternatives are recommended? Currently Hurricane Electric and Teredo come to mind, though it would be good to have a list of other solutions as fallback plans.
Your ISP may offer you a tunnel. I can't speak for any Canadian ISPs but in the US, Charter and Sonic.net both offer IPv6 by 6rd.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker