SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Why Brighthouse Networks still has not implemented IPV6
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 14 December 2016 18:28:52
Here is something I ran across today https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30690111-Tampa-BHN-TAMPA-When-are-we-going-to-see-IPv6 BHNtechXpert stated this on 2016-Apr-9 BHNtechXpert to felyza said by felyza: I have been fighting with BHN for the last week. I was promised by sales that IPv6 is available for my location. I have a static IP address and a high tier connection. After the talk with sales about upgrading for the static at home, everything has been a nightmare since. Fight? Why? The answer is a simple one we do not offer IPv6 at this time. said by felyza: The staff is not trained on IPv6, from sales to tech support to L3 support. Trying to get the most basic information from them results in a myriad of maybe's, I-don't-knows, sure-it-will's, and let-me-ask-the-lead's. The final answers on questions change from call to call. They are not trained on IPv6 because it isn't an available option at this time. said by felyza: The new hardware I received that I was told would work with BHN's IPv6 supports such in the router firmware. It was specifically switched out for this one FOR IPv6. My old hardware didn't support IPv6, but would have worked in every other way. That is correct, our modems are IPv6 ready or at least the most current models are. said by felyza: Currently, I have access to the IPv6 internet through an HE tunnel. As a paying customer, I shouldn't have to go through another service, which limits speed to their pipes, over a tunnel, when the option of having it native is present. The option is there, BHN owns the ranges, they have the equipment, since it's available in surrounding areas. When are they going to open the door to using the 22 year old technology here? When we're ready (and actually need to) and the consumer need (meaning there are viable commercial sites with no other method of access) justifies the significant training and support costs that come with IPv6. At this time they simply do not exist, virtually all sites today are IPv4 or dual stack (IPv4/IPv6). said by felyza: I would be MORE than happy to switch services to another provider that does offer it, however I don't have the option. It's part of the problem with living in an apartment complex. said by felyza: Things have changed. There may be enough addresses for BHN to continue offering IPv4 to its customers, but there's no longer addresses for new ranges in North America. There are more and more sites popping up that don't have an IPv4 address. The change isn't beginning, it's been underway for a few years now, and becoming more and more relevant for people with each passing day. Slightly yes but the reality is you can still get an IPv4 address if you want one. Most providers of hosting services etc have hoarded IPv4 space for some time and have them available but it makes for great news stating otherwise however it just isn't the case. said by felyza: I support IPv6 on my own sites. I am limited to going elsewhere through tunnels to do that. So do I and so am I.... said by felyza: BHN needs to get on the ball. We are ready when the time comes....we're watching things very closely industry wide and you will have it when you truly need it. As this has been discussed at great lengths in a plethora of threads that's really all I have to say....just wanted to clarify a couple of things for you. So until there are major sites that only have IPv6 access, BHN thinks we will not need IPv6 for a long time coming. Naw Matt we're gonna get there eventually....the necessary behind the scenes stuff is handled already for the most part so when the time comes we'll be ready. The reality is that a certain group of so called "industry experts' stuck their necks out way too far predicting doom, gloom and death of the internet as we know it if people didn't adopt IPv6 not now but yesterday and for all intents they stepped in their own feces. In a desperate attempt to retain their credibility they will often bring the issue to the forefront every so often with a slightly modified headline with almost laughable examples of why their original predictions were accurate. The reality is that most properly maintained providers were forward thinking and banked enough IPv4 space to cover their immediate and near future needs. There are exceptions but generally most are in at least decent shape. Comcast is one of the few who have embraced IPv6 fully but they didn't do it because they wanted to impress everyone with their IPv6 prowess or the whole 12 people on their entire network who convinced themselves they absolutely had to have IPv6 today, their life would not go on without it and for whatever technical reason tunneling was technically impossible....no matter how misguided or wrong. Comcast's issue was exactly what I said above....they didn't have much of a choice....their available IPv4 space was reaching that uncomfortable stage (by their own admission) and that's okay I guess....everyone manages their networks differently. As for us....we're in a nice comfortable spot, no need to rush things for now but it will come not only for us but everyone else out there as well and the migration will kick into a higher gear. One thing everyone needs to understand however....IPv6 is a freaking support nightmare. While I would love to have native support the reality is I know what's coming from a support standpoint and simply stated it is not going to be fun for me or my team and especially not fun for Customer Care agents who generally deal with the least technical of customers. IPv6 is a fundamental shift in thinking, everything on your home network potentially has a unique addressable public IP....even your coffee maker.....gee....what could possibly go wrong there....hmmmmmm? So they will get there eventually, 20 years to do it, and they will in due time get it done. So another 20 years ? Oh and because he states "IPv6 is a freaking support nightmare" Whoda thunk that?
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 03 January 2017 22:20:09
I would seriously consider switching to a different network so you can use another provider. If IPv6 brings visions of a 'support nightmare', they clearly have little to no network management. It is even more worrying that he mentions the potential danger of unique addressable IP's for all devices in the home. That suggests their network relies on NAT on the customer device for security (his answer suggests that he doesn't think much of the firewall on the customer devices.) 4G/LTE, satellite, digging your own fiber to a reliable network, pigeons, smoke signals, anything.
[dk] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 01 February 2017 08:30:05
We need something like special flying mounts or weapons only available to ipv6-players in World of Warcraft to incite user-demand for IPv6 ;-)
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 17 April 2017 22:34:04
Since Charter, Time Warner and Bright House are now one big company called "Spectrum", they may still implement IPv6 in former Bright House markets. Spectrum IPv6 Eventually....

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker