SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

dns server
[be] Carmen Sandiego on Friday, 17 September 2004 20:14:14
Hi, I'm searching all over the internet for DNS servers supporting ip6.arpa. Most of my friends their DNS servers only configured for ip6.int. My question is, has sixxs DNS servers where I can request reverses? I looked in the FAQ and I didn't find a topic that was telling me more about this. Or do someone knows a good service that provides such reverse or do you? Greetz Tijmerd
dns server
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 17 September 2004 20:21:49
ip6.int was deprecated 3 years ago. As for DNS servers, take your pick: NSD PowerDNS BIND Or see DNS server software for a very long list ;)
dns server
[fi] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 18 September 2004 11:57:25
Hmm... any specific reason for not mentioning djbdns directly? Or their slightly colored point of view on other dns servers? 8-) Okay, maybe the fact djbdns needs to be patched for ipv6 support was one reason for not mentioning it... and that the patch site still mentions ip6.int and some not-implemented-yet parts. The patch itself does include ip6.arpa though, anyone happen to have practical experience with that?
dns server
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 18 September 2004 12:06:45
It is in the last link, nevertheless it does not comply with IPv6, let alone most dns servers. DJB tends to scream and shout that other software is bloated, while his only does the most basic RFC implementation and nothing more, not so weird when one has only a few lines of code that it is 'more' secure ;)
dns server
[be] Carmen Sandiego on Friday, 17 September 2004 21:08:51
Hi, Thanx for the fast reply, but I'm not searching for software, but people who can host reverses for me, or people who know a good service. I can't run an own DNS server at home (ISP blocks all ports below 1024). Neither my ISP gives me a change to request reverses on their servers. Thus this is a serious problem to me:/ I hope someone can help me Greetz Tijmerd
dns server
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 17 September 2004 21:13:48
Why not run the DNS server over IPv6 then? IPv6 tunnels provided by SixXS are completely unfiltered... And the only problem of not being able to change your reverse can be: - it is ugly - it doesn't match the forward which you yourself configured - some spam installations block long 'adsl' etc alike reverses. So how it is a serious problem, if it is.. change ISP ;)
dns server
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 18 September 2004 19:27:05
There are free DNS services, too - e.g. everydns.net; but I don't know which of them allow you to add arbitrary records without running an own primary. soa.granitecanyon.com used to, but they seem to be dead again. Of course, there are lots of companies you can pay for a DNS server too.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker