SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

IPv6 connectivity issue
[fi] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 01 October 2016 08:55:52
Hi! I've stumbled over an ISP that hinders IPv6-connectivity. The phenomena is that the small packets, TCP handshake and HTTP redirect, get routed all the way but when the web-server should start sending data, the TCP-session goes into keep-alive and gets closed a while later. Smells like PMTUD-breakage to me. This is confirmed with both a Hurricane Electric and a few Sixxs -tunnels, and two separate web-sites on TELIASONERA-FI-NET-IPv6-BLK. My question is, how is one supposed to approach the ISP in the correct manner? Is there some protocol to follow? Does Sixxs help in these cases? Thanks and regards, Markus Ingalsuo
IPv6 connectivity issue Private
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 01 October 2016 10:06:50
I've stumbled over an ISP that hinders IPv6-connectivity.
Did you try native IPv6? Did you Call Your ISP?
Smells like PMTUD-breakage to me.
Very likely the case. You can try the hacky clamp-to-MSS trick to confirm (this is kinda what Google does for instance, but they hack and guess it server side). Note that that only covers TCP data and lots of stuff is also UDP. At least you know what the problem is then. tracepath[6] or scamper can also show PMTU blackholes. Note that it might just be a ECMP load balancer that causes this problem. Good article to read and point people to: https://blog.cloudflare.com/path-mtu-discovery-in-practice/
My question is, how is one supposed to approach the ISP in the correct manner?
Contact the webmaster of the site, contact the ISP that hosts the site etc...
Is there some protocol to follow?
Provide sufficient details (traceroute, pcaps etc) along with a link to a page describing MTU issues (see link above).
Does Sixxs help in these cases?
As we do not operate the remote service, little we can do. We do not have the resources to try and contact ISPs all over the world and keep on telling them their stuff is broken, have been trying to explain that for 15+ years already...

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker